A Simple Stir Fry Vegetable Dish That Is Packed With Flavour: Vegetarian Kam Heong French Bean 素金香四季豆
Vegetarian Kam Heong French Bean is a simple stir fry dish of french beans with vegetarian Kam Heong sauce. It’s a pleasant alternative for vegetarians who enjoy flavourful vegetarian dishes. The essence of this dish is from the sauce and the great flavours came from tossing the french beans with the aromatic vegetarian Kam Heong sauce.
For this recipe, we are using our very own vegetarian Kam Heong sauce that we have made in the earlier recipe: https://www.huangkitchen.com/vegetarian-kam-heong-sauce/
The Name Perfectly Describes The Dish
The word ‘Kam Heong’ (金香) means fragrant in Chinese and it perfectly described the dish. A profusion of smells from the combination of curry leaves, curry powder, candlenuts, chillies and vegetarian dried shrimps can simply lift one’s taste bud instantly.
Fresh and Crunch French Beans Stir Fried With Fragrant Savoury Sauce
This recipe for Vegetarian Kam Heong French Bean results in french beans that still have a bit of crunch to them. This stir fry cooks up quickly. Yes, it couldn’t be easier. Just be sure that the french beans used are fresh and tender. Vegetarian Kam Heong French Bean is so flavourful and it’s as good if not better than the non-vegetarian version of Kam Heong French Bean. As always, ENJOY!
Vegetarian Kam Heong French Bean 素甘香四季豆
- 200 gram french beans
- 2 red chillies, cut into sections
- 2 lemongrass, cut into sections
- 50 gram vegetarian meat, cut into slices
- 3 tbsp Kam Heong Sauce
- 2 tbsp hot water, preferably hot water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, to fry french beans & vegetarian meat
- Have ready the french beans (string beans) and other ingredients needed for this dish.
- First, snipped off both ends of the french beans.
- Wash french beans thoroughly in clear and cool water. Rinse again to leave garden dirt behind.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Cut red chillies into sections.
- (Optional): Cut lemongrass into long strips. And we’re ready to fry the french beans. And we’re ready to fry the french beans!
- Heat up oil in wok. Fry french beans and vegetarian meat in the hot oil till well cooked.
- When cooked, remove from wok.
- Drained on plate and set aside.
- Heat up the same wok and stir fry precooked Kam Heong sauce until fragrant.
- Add in the fried french beans and vegetarian meat. Continue to stir fry till well mixed.
- Next, stir in cut red chillies and lemongrass.
- Add in hot water and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Toss to combine until the liquid dries up and the french beans has been well flavoured with the sauce, about 2 minutes. The french beans should still be somewhat crisp. And we’re done!
- Serve immediately with steamed rice. As always, Enjoy!
- See Recipe for Vegetarian Kam Heong Sauce: https://www.huangkitchen.com/vegetarian-kam-heong-sauce/
- If you’re planning to make your own vegetarian meat, see our recipe here.
- This dish may taste a bit salty so it goes really well with steamed rice.
- Be sure to use fresh and tender french beans to ensure it’s crispy and crunchy when fried.
- To know if the french beans are fresh, just break one in half and it should “snap”. If it bends limply, then it’s not fresh.