Braised Shiitake Mushrooms With Broccoli is actually a very simple dish to prepare yet it has a very sumptuous outlook. The colour contrast between the black and shiny shiitake mushrooms and the bright green broccoli coupled with the orange sliced carrots make this dish look so impressive. Hence, it is well suited to be served in a banquet or a feast.
Braising is basically slow cooking the food, as in this case, the rehydrated succulent shiitake mushrooms with some liquid at low temperature for a longer time. Braising actually tend to make these mushrooms taste better and have a more silky texture. Just perfect for entertaining when friends come to visit.
Dried Shiitake Mushrooms take centre stage in this braised mushrooms, Chinese Style dish. Just rehydrate the dried mushrooms, stir fry till fragrant and simmer with seasonings till soft and we’re done. Well braised shiitake mushrooms do not just look incredibly velvety and shiny, they taste amazingly flavourful and is simply delish. As usual, ENJOY!
Braised Shiitake Mushrooms With Broccoli 焖香菇西兰花
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 150 gram dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked till soft
- 300 gram broccoli, cut into florets
- 20 gram ginger, skinned, cut into slices
- 1 Carrot, cut into slices
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp salt, to blanch broccoli florets and sliced carrot
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 ½ cup mushroom water, from soaked mushrooms
- 1 tsp cornstarch water, for thickening
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ cup water/mushroom water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp sugar
- Prepare all ingredients needed to cook this dish.
- Also, have ready all the seasonings needed.
- Soak dried shiitake mushroom in water until slightly soft.
- Strain and retain 1 1/2 cup of mushroom water (from soaked mushrooms).
- Drained the rehydrated shiitake mushrooms.
- Using a pair of scissors or sharp knife, cut and remove the stems from the softened mushrooms.
- Set aside the mushrooms for use later.
- Soaked the broccoli in salt water for about 5 minutes and then rinse to remove any dirt.
- Then cut the cleaned broccoli into florets by cutting them off from the stem.
- Skinned and cut ginger into slices.
- Cut one carrot into slices.
- Bring water with salt added in a wok to a boil.
- Blanch broccoli florets in the boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the broccoli florets with a ladle and drained dry. Set aside for later use.
- In the same wok, blanch the sliced carrots for 1 minute and set aside. And we're ready to cook the dish!
- Heat up oil in a wok and saute the cut ginger slices.
- Add in the drained and rehydrated shiitake mushrooms. Stir fry the mushrooms until fragrant.
- Add in sugar.
- Then a dash of ground white pepper.
- Also add in vegetarian oyster sauce.
- Then, stir in soy sauce.
- And salt.
- Continue to stir fry making sure all the seasonings are infused into the mushrooms.
- Then, pour in the retained mushroom water.
- Bring the mushroom fluid to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, making sure that the heat is giving a gentle simmer rather than a rapid boil. Be sure to stir and check on the mushrooms occasionally throughout the braising process.
- Then stir in the sliced carrots.
- Thicken the shiitake mushrooms with a little cornstarch water. And we're done!
- To serve, place broccoli florets prepared earlier in a circle around a serving plate and place the braised mushrooms in the centre and serve immediate. As always, ENJOY!