Chinese Steamed Egg: A Traditional Dish In Chinese Cuisine
This is the most basic version of Chinese Steamed Egg. Perhaps you can say it’s the Chinese equivalent of Chawanmushi (Japanese Steamed Eggs). It is also known as 蒸水蛋 i.e. “steamed water eggs”; this dish is literally a steamed water and egg mixture. Most Chinese households have this dish in their house menu, as it’s really so easy to make and only 2 main ingredients needed.
So, if you find yourself short of a dish to serve for lunch or dinner, try cooking this easy Chinese Steamed Egg dish. Although simple, it really never fails to impress if you do it the right way.
The Secret To Silky Smooth Steamed Egg Custard
The test of a perfect Chinese Steamed Egg lies in the texture of the egg custard. It should be soft and silky, with a smooth and glassy surface. And really, there’s no big secret to make a dish of silky smooth steamed egg custard. My experience is always to strain the egg mixture, use low heat and to cover the egg mixture before steaming. You must avoid using high heat. Otherwise, you will end-up with steamed eggs with honeycomb-like texture which will be coarse.
So Enjoy as this goes down as one of the BEST Chinese homemade comfort food of all time!
Chinese Steamed Egg 蒸水蛋
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 300 ml water, use warm water
- 3 eggs, large
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground white pepper
- ⅛ tsp chicken stock granules
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fried garlic with oil
- 1 tbsp spring onions, chopped
- Prepare all ingredients needed.
- Crack three eggs into a large bowl.
- Lightly beat eggs and then slowly add in warm water.
- Add seasonings and mix well.
- Strain egg mixture into a shallow heatproof bowl.
- Cover with heatproof cling wrap.
- Gently place the bowl onto a prepared steamer.
- Steam over LOW HEAT for 10 minutes, or until set. And we're done!
- Meanwhile, fry minced garlic till golden brown in oil and set aside.
- Sprinkle chopped spring onions, fried garlic, light soy sauce over the egg custard and serve hot. Goes so well with hot steamed rice. As always, ENJOY!