A Classic Nyonya Delicacy, Chicken Pongteh, Made The Vegetarian Way
Another variety in our collection of vegetarian recipes has got to be this delightful Nyonya stew dish. This is a vegetarian version of Chicken Pongteh, a typical Peranakan (Nyonya) soybean based stew with potatoes and mushrooms. It’s heartwarming, comforting and really delectable, especially the gravy!
An Amazing Vegan Friendly Recipe, Using Homemade Vegetarian Meat: Vegetarian Chicken Pongteh
This dish uses homemade vegetarian chicken meat. But if time is a factor, store bought vegetarian chicken meat works just as well. The herb combination of cinnamon stick and star anise, along with aromatic palm sugar and bean paste work so well to enhance the flavour of this wonderful dish. It’s really a marvel that such a simple dish can be packed with so much flavour. Best served with steamed rice.
Vegetarian Chicken Pongteh 素娘惹焖豆酱鸡
- 250 grams vegetarian chicken meat, recipe link in the recipe notes
- 30 grams ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp fermented bean paste, taucho
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 200 grams potatoes, cut into thick pieces
- 3 tbsp palm sugar, also known as gula melaka, chopped
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup mushroom water, or water
- First, soak dried shiitake mushrooms. Drain and retain the mushroom liquid for later use. Slice the soften mushrooms into smaller pieces.
- Next, peel some potatoes and cut into large pieces.
- Peel and mince some ginger.
- Cut homemade or store-bought vegetarian chicken meat into smaller pieces. And we're ready to cook the dish!
- First heat oil in a wok. Add mince ginger and saute till fragrant.
- Add fermented beanpaste and stir-fry for 2 minutes till aromatic, making sure not to burn the paste.
- Add mushrooms and potatoes. Stir-fry for a while.
- Add in palm sugar. Then, add in retained mushroom water. Followed by light and dark soy sauce.
- Stir well till palm sugar has dissolved. Cook over low heat till potatoes turn tender. Lastly, add vegetarian chicken pieces. Bring to a boil.
- Then cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes until sauce thickens. And we're done!
- Serve hot with steamed rice. So Enjoy!