Let’s make Sweet and Sour Abalone Mushrooms! This meatless dish is a vegan / vegetarian version of the popular chinese dish: sweet and sour pork. Crispy battered deep fried abalone mushrooms, coated in an amazingly flavourful sweet and sour sauce. Just delicious!
Watch How To Make Sweet And Sour Abalone Mushrooms (Recipe Video)
If you like Sweet and Sour pork or fish, you may want to try making this Sweet and Sour Abalone Mushrooms too! It is packed full of flavour with the crunchy vegetables and the crispy abalone mushrooms covered in a bright iconic sticky red sauce.
The battered deep fried mushrooms are extremely flavourful, taste crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Pairs really well with hot steamed jasmine rice and is perfect for lunch and dinner. So If you want something healthy but still delicious do try this out. Everyone who tries it will absolutely love it!
What are Abalone Mushrooms?
Abalone mushrooms are medium to large in size and are irregular and oblong with a vase-like shape, averaging 5-25 centimeters in diameter. It is a relative to the well-known oyster mushroom and is sometimes confused for the king trumpet.
Abalone mushroom derived its name from the shellfish abalone as they have similar texture. The skin is ivory to white and is smooth, silky, plump, and firm with small golden lines and perforations found throughout the surface with many gills under the cap. The cream-colored flesh is crisp, dense, and spongy with a meaty texture. When cooked, Abalone mushrooms are slippery and velvety with an earthy, buttery flavor. It is often used as a vegan meat substitute in vegetarian cooking.
Popular Uses of Abalone Mushrooms:
What is Sweet And Sour Abalone Mushrooms?
Sweet and Sour Abalone Mushrooms is a vegetarian version of the Chinese Sweet and Sour Fish or Pork. It uses abalone mushrooms to substitute for mock meat and fish and it is equally delicious. This dish is plant based and is totally meatless. This is a popular dish served in chinese vegetarian restaurants (世界名片).
Ingredients You Need To Make Sweet And Sour Mushrooms
- Abalone Mushroom
- Green Pepper
- Red Chilli
- All-purpose flour
- Rice flour
- Baking powder
- Ground white pepper
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Chilli sauce
- Plum sauce
- Oyster sauce
- White vinegar
Overview On How to Cook Sweet And Sour Abalone Mushrooms
- Wash and pat dry abalone mushrooms. Prepare batter to coat the mushrooms for deep frying.
- Cut green pepper into chunks, tomato into wedges, cucumber and pineapple into cubes, chilli into thick slices and chop ginger finely.
- Mix all sauce ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Deep fry abalone mushrooms in batches till golden brown and set aside.
- In a clean wok, stir fry all the cut vegetables in a little oil till fragrant. Then pour in the sweet and sour sauce. Cook till sauce thickens. Off heat and stir in the deep fried mushrooms and mix till well combined. Serve immediately.
Tips on Cooking Sweet And Sour Abalone Mushrooms:
- Wash, strain and pat dry abalone mushroom before dipping into the batter for deep frying.
- Deep fry the abalone mushrooms in batches, do not overcrowd. This is to prevent the mushrooms sticking together.
- Only add in the fried abalone mushrooms when the sauce has thickened and quickly stir to coat the mushrooms evenly with the sauce and serve immediately. This is to ensure the fried abalone mushrooms remain crispy and tasty.
FAQ About This Recipe:
Fresh mushrooms should never be frozen. They are best stored in the refrigerator in their original packaging for prolonged shelf-life. They will keep fresh for about 3 days.
The mushrooms have gone bad if they develop a sticky or slimy surface and get darker in colour. They should never look wet.
Sweet And Sour Abalone Mushrooms 酸甜炸鲍鱼菇 (世界名片)
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 200 grams abalone mushroom, washed, drain well and pat dry
- ½ green pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 red chilli, cut into thick slices
- 100 grams pineapple, cut into cubes
- ¼ cucumber , deseed and cut into cubes
- 20 grams ginger, finely chopped
- 150 grams all-purpose flour, sifted
- 20 grams rice flour, sifted
- ½ tsp baking powder, sifted
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 200-220 ml water, water amount depends on flour; add enough water so that the batter has a runny texture
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp plum sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1½ tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup water, 3 tbsp
- Have ready some fresh abalone mushrooms.
- Wash abalone mushrooms and slightly press to remove water in it. Using paper towel, press to further dry the mushrooms. Tear the larger abalone mushrooms into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Have ready all other ingredients needed to cook the dish.
- Cut the green pepper, red chilli, tomato, cucumber and pineapple into pieces. Skin, shred and chop the ginger. Then set aside.
- Have ready the ingredients needed to make the sweet and sour sauce.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Have ready ingredients to make batter to deep fry the mushrooms.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients to make the batter for deep frying the mushrooms. Mix batter until well combined and set aside. The batter should have a runny texture. And we are ready to cook the dish.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium high heat. Test if oil is hot enough by dipping a wooden chopstick into the oil. Oil is ready for frying when bubbles form around the chopstick.
- Dip mushroom into the batter and gently drop it into the hot oil, one at a time. Deep fry in batches until both sides of the mushrooms turn light golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from oil and strain excess oil on a paper towel. Then prepare to cook the mushrooms.
- In a wok, add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Saute chopped ginger till fragrant. Add in all the cut vegetables and pineapple. Fry till aromatic and turns soft.
- Pour in the sweet and sour sauce and let it come to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce has thickened. Off heat, add in the fried abalone mushrooms and briefly mix to evenly coat with the sauce.
- Place on serving plate and we are done!
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and enjoy!
Preparing Abalone Mushrooms:
Preparing Other Ingredients:
Preparing Sweet and Sour Sauce:
Deep Fry Abalone Mushrooms:
Cooking Sweet And Sour Abalone Mushrooms:
- Make sure to pat dry washed abalone mushrooms before dipping into the batter for deep frying.
- Deep fry the abalone mushrooms in smaller batches, do not overcrowd. This will prevent the mushrooms from sticking together.
- Only add in the fried mushrooms when the sauce has thickened. Quickly stir to coat mushrooms with sauce. Serve immediately to ensure the fried mushrooms remain crispy and tasty.