A Classic Cantonese Dish: Sweet and Sour Pork (Gu Lu Rou) 咕噜肉
Sweet and Sour Pork (Gu Lu Rou 咕噜肉) is a classic Cantonese dish and it is one of the most well known Chinese cuisine with universal appeal, also for kids and adults as well. The ideal combination of crispy and crunchy pork cubes coated in a flavoursome sweet and sour sauce has made this dish ever so popular in restaurants, as well as at home. A staple Chinese dish that everyone knows and loves, this is truly everyone’s favourite.
Sweet, Sour and Savoury; A Popular Dish for Everyone
This flavourful dish is pretty easy to prepare. Once you have tried cooking it, I am very sure it will be a popular dish in which your whole family will always enjoy.
First, marinate the pork for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight. Next coat the marinated pork with cornstarch and deep fried. Then saute cut vegetables till just crisp and tender. These fresh vegetables give such a nice colour and flavour to the dish. Next add in the sweet and sour sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and add in the crispy fried pork. Toss the pork evenly with the sweet and tangy sauce and we are done!
The Secret of The Best Sweet and Sour Sauce
The secret for this flavourful dish lies in the use of sweet tomato and chilli sauce, plum sauce and vinegar to create the perfect balance of sweetness and sourness for the dish. Besides the crispy deep fried pork, it is this tangy sweet and sour sauce that makes all the difference to this sweet and sour pork dish. Served with piping hot steamed rice, it is truly the ultimate comfort food. This makes a terrific one dish meal and certainly a real crowd pleaser too, that’s for sure.
Sweet And Sour Pork (Gu Lu Rou) 咕噜肉
- 300 gram pork, cut into cubes
- 1 green capsicum, sliced
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 100 gram pineapple, cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp water
Sweet And Sour Sauce:
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp plum sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 100 ml water
- Have ready all ingredients needed to make the dish.
- Slice all the vegetables into cubes, pieces and wedges.
- Have ready ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce.
- Mix well the sauce and set aside.
- Have ready ingredients for marinating the pork cubes.
- Cut pork into 1/2 inch thickness and cut into cubes.
- Add all marinade ingredients into the pork pieces and stir to mix well.
- Cover with cling wrap and marinade for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- When about to cook, remove and leave to room tempearture. Toss the marinated pork in cornflour until well coated. Then get ready to deep fry the pork pieces.
- To deep fry the coated pork, first heat up oil and deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown and the pork is cooked through.
- Dish up, drained and set aside. And we are ready to cook the dish.
- To cook the dish, first leave 1 tbsp oil in wok and stir fry onion, capsicum, tomatoes and pineapple until fragrant.
- Pour in the sweet and sour sauce and bring the sauce mixture to a boil. Cook till sauce thickened.
- Add in deep fried pork and mix well. And we are done!
- Dish up and serve hot with steamed rice.