A Simple But Classic Steamed Bean Curd Dish
Steamed Bean Curd With Shallot Oil is a steamed tofu dish with a savoury shallot oil soy dressing sauce and a generous toppings of fried dried prawns, fried shallots and freshly diced spring onions. A classic steamed dish, this is a light, healthy, easy and delicious dish to cook. Its such a hassle free dish and it goes so well with a bowl of hot steamed rice. It is super fast to prepare too.
Silky Steamed Tofu with A Fragrant Savoury Topping
The bean curd offers a soft creamy and pudding like texture but not in the flavour. So everything lies in the sauce and toppings for this dish. To make bean curd with shallot oil, the silky tofu is first steamed and then topped with a savoury yet fragrant topping of fried shallots, hot shallot oil, savoury seasoning and sautéed dried prawns.
For this dish, use the plain tofu i.e. the one without egg. The rather bland tasting tofu is the perfect backdrop for the rather savoury toppings and gives such a good contrast in texture and flavour with every mouthful.
Healthy, Quick And Easy Tofu Dish That You Can Easily Make
Though it is plain and tasteless on its own, the smooth texture of the bean curd and the shallot oil soy aroma will certainly win the hears of the tofu haters. Just be sure to serve this bean curd dish hot. Goes very well with a bowl of piping hot steamed white rice.
Steamed Bean Curd With Shallot Oil 蒸葱油豆腐
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 piece bean curd, soft
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1 tbsp spring onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried prawns, soaked
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ¼ tsp dark soy sauce
- ¼ tsp chicken stock granukles
- ½ cup water, 100 ml
- Place the soft bean curd in a steaming plate and set aside.
- Soak dried prawns and drained, cut shallot into thin slices and chopped spring onion for garnishing.
- Prepare seasoning ingredients for the sauce.
- Mix well the sauce ingredients in a bowl, set aside and we are ready to cook the dish.
- Prepare steamer by bringing water to a boil in a wok. Then place the soft bean curd into the steamer.
- Steam over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from steamer and pour away excess water.
- Then heat up 2 tbsp cooking oil and saute sliced shallots till golden brown and fragrant.
- Pour the fried shallots and oil over the cooked bean curd.
- Then fry the soaked dried prawns till golden brown and set aside.
- Next, pour the seasoning sauce into the wok and bring to a boil.
- Pour the hot sauce over the steamed bean curd.
- Lastly, sprinkle the top with chopped spring onion and fried dried prawns. And we are ready to serve.