A Simple Steamed Chinese Sweet Cake That Is So Easy To Make
Steamed Pumpkin Sweet Cake is a steamed Chinese snack that can also be served as a sweet dessert. The best part is it’s extremely simple to make, only require a few easy to find ingredients. It is actually a very simple plain steamed cake made using mashed cooked pumpkin, self-raising flour, milk powder and instant yeast as leavening.
All that is needed is just to mix well all ingredients and leave to proof till double in size. Then steamed for 30 minutes, garnished with sweet dried raisins and toasted sesame seeds.
A Sweet Cake That Is Definitely A Treat For Pumpkin Lovers
The main ingredient for this recipe is the sweet deep yellow to orange coloured pumpkin. This variant of pumpkin has a rich and earthy unique flavour and gives this steamed cake a bright and brilliant colour. This Steamed Pumpkin Sweet Cake is spongy soft and moist, especially when served warm and fresh from the steamer. It is certainly a treat especially to those with a sweet tooth and a liking for anything pumpkin.
Steamed Pumpkin Sweet Cake 蒸金瓜甜糕
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 200 grams pumpkin , Steamed, mashed into paste (nett weight, skin removed)
- 1 round pan, 6 inch, line base with greaseproof paper
Ingredients for Batter:
- 120 grams self raising flour, sifted
- 5 tbsp sugar, 95 grams
- ¼ tsp salt, 1 gram
- 2 tbsp milk powder, 25 gram
- 1 tsp instant yeast, 4 grams
- ½ tsp baking powder, 3 grams
- ¼ cup water, 60g
Ingredients for Garnishing:
- 1 tbsp dried raisins
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- First, line a 6 inch round tin mould with parchment paper and brush with oil.
- Have ready all ingredients needed to make the cake.
- Place cubed pumpkin in a steamer and steam for about 20 minutes until completely soft.
- Using a fork, mashed the cooked pumpkin while it is still hot and squeezed out excess water, if any. Set aside and we are ready to make the pumpkin cake batter.
- In a mixing bowl, first add and mix well all dry ingredients. Then add in mashed pumpkin and lastly water.
- Using a spatula, combine all ingredients and mix till smooth.
- Then pour the batter into the prepared tin mould. Tap the cake tin to settle the batter into the tin and to make sure there are no gaps between the batter and tin at the bottom or sides of the tin. Also, smooth the top with a spatula.
- Cling wrap and set aside to proof for 60 mins.
- Then garnish the top with some dried raisins and white sesame seeds. And we are ready to steam the pumpkin cake.
- To steam, first bring water in a wok to a rolling boil. Then place the pumpkin cake on the steamer.
- Cover and steam for 30 minutes.
- And we are done! Leave to cool on wire rack.
- When cooled, remove from mould. Then cut and serve warm with hot chinese tea and Enjoy!