A Must Order Dim Sum Dish: Loh Mai Kai, Steamed Glutinous Rice with Chicken 糯米鸡
Steamed Glutinous Rice With Chicken, or more popularly known as Loh Mai Kai / Lo Mai Gai is a classic dim sum dish served in the restaurants. It is a MUST order item when you dine in at any dim sum restaurants. And the good news is, its super easy to make them at home too. The best thing about homemade Loh Mai Kai is you can actually decide on the quality of ingredients as well as the seasonings and flavouring for the dish. You can also make the texture of the glutinous rice to suit your palette. Some enjoy the glutinous rice really soft, compact and sticky. Others may prefer it not so compact and less sticky. Either way it is equally great.
A Delicious Dim Sum Dish That You Can Easily Prepare At Home
Steamed Glutinous Rice With Chicken is super tasty and its relatively easy to prepare. This simple dim sum dish is made of steamed glutinous rice topped with chinese sausage, marinated chicken, sauteed dried shiitake mushrooms and sometimes even dried scallop. It is almost foolproof to make that once you have made them at home, you probably will not buy store bought ones anymore. It can also be made in advance and store in the freezer so you can enjoy Loh Mai Kai anytime you want at home.
Homemade Loh Mai Kai Are Just So Much Better Than Store Bought Ones
To make this, first rinse and soak the glutinous rice. Then season well and stir fry in shallot oil to bind all the flavours. Next, marinade bite size hicken thigh meat and sauté dried shiitake mushrooms and chinese sausage till aromatic. Then, using stainless steel bowls, just assemble everything together. Place sautéed mushrooms, chinese sausage, marinated chicken and scallop into the bottom of the bowl and top with the fried glutinous rice. Steam the glutinous rice bowls till cooked through. Remove and invert the cooked Loh Mai Kai onto a small plate and serve hot.
With the combination of all the flavourful toppings, the ultimate flavour is so amazingly delicious especially when eaten together with the steamed glutinous rice. The taste of the glutinous rice is so so delicious as its infused with all the wonderful flavours.
Steamed Glutinous Rice With Chicken (Loh Mai Kai) 糯米鸡
- 200 grams glutinous rice, soaked 6 hours / overnight
- 4 dried mushrooms, soaked
- 4 dried scallops, soaked
- 200 grams chicken meat, 1 chicken thigh, deboned.
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 5 shallots, sliced thinly
- 1/2 sausage, skin removed, sliced into pieces
Marinade for Chicken:
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour
Seasoning for Glutinous Rice:
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Have ready all ingredients needed to make steamed glutinous rice with chicken.
- Soaked mushrooms in water till soft, about 2 hours.
- Then set aside rehydrated mushrooms and retain mushroom water.
- Also, soaked scallops for about 1 hour.
- Set aside rehydrated dried scallop and retain scallop water.
- Soak chinese sausage in water for about 10 minutes. Then remove the skin casing on the sausage.
- Then slice the sausage diagonally into semi-thin pieces.
- Next, peel and mince some garlic
- Lastly, slice thinly some peeled shallots.
- To prepare the glutinous rice, wash the rice and drained.
- Add enough water and set aside to soak for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Prepare seasonings to season the soaked glutinous rice.
- Drained soaked glutinous rice and place into a deep bowl. Add in the seasonings and mix well. Set aside to stir fry the glutinous rice.
- To prepare the chicken, first cut deboned chicken thigh into bite size pieces.
- Skin ginger and pound to extract ginger juice.
- Have ready all seasonings to marinade the cut chicken meat.
- Add all the seasonings into chicken meat and marinade for at least 3 hours. Meanwhile we are ready to fry the prepared ingredients.
- First, heat up oil in wok and saute slice shallot.
- Fry the shallot till golden, remove and retain the oil to use to stir fry other ingredients.
- Using a little of the shallot oil, stir fry minced garlic, mushroom and chinese sausage.
- When aromatic, add in mushroom water and continue to saute till dry.
- Set aside the fried mushrooms and chinese sausage toppings for later use.
- In the same wok, heat a little of the shallot oil and put in the seasoned glutinous rice. Stir fry till fragrant.
- Set aside the fried glutinous rice and we are ready to assemble the steamed glutinous rice with chicken into a bowl.
- Have ready all ingredients needed to assemble the steamed glutinous rice with chicken.
- First put 1-2 pieces marinated chicken, 1 piece fried mushroom (black face down), 1-2 pieces fried chinese sausage and 1 scallop into a stainless steel bowl. Then top up with sauteed glutinous rice.
- Next, press down gently the glutinous rice with the back of a spoon.
- Lastly spoon 4 tablespoons of mushroom/scallop water onto the glutinous rice and we have assembled 1 bowl of glutinous rice with chicken.
- Contine to assemble the same for the other 3 stainless steel bowls. And we are ready to steam the glutinous rice with chicken.
- Place the filled stainless steel bowls into a steamer with boiling water.
- Cover with lid and steam over medium heat for 40 minutes or until done.
- Remove from steamer when cooked.
- To release the glutinous rice, first run a knife around the stainless steel bowl and place a small plate above it.
- Then turn over the steamed glutinous rice onto the small plate and serve immediately.