Craving for a deliciously rich and creamy cheesecake? This Easy New York Cheesecake Recipe is just what you are looking for. This ultimate cheesecake has three delicious layers, with a bottom digestive biscuit crust, a centre rich cream cheese filling and a lightly sweetened sour cream top layer.
Watch How To Make New York Cheesecake (Recipe Video)
Let’s Make The Best Homemade New York Style Cheesecake!
If you are craving for an ultra rich and creamy cheesecake, this New York Cheesecake may just be what you are looking for. It has three layers, with a bottom graham cracker or digestive biscuit crust, a centre rich cream cheese filling and a lightly sweetened sour cream top layer.
This American Style Baked Cheesecake is especially well known for its rich, dense and creamy texture. It is made with cream cheese, eggs and heavy whipping cream is added to create a denser, creamier and smoother cheesecake. The lemon flavour in the cream cheese filling adds extra freshness to the cheesecake. This cheesecake is very good served as is or you can serve it topped with fresh berries or a fruit sauce. The taste is simply amazing even with just a small bite!
What is The Difference Between a New York Cheesecake And A Regular Cheesecake?
If you are wondering what’s the difference between New York Cheesecake and a regular Cheesecake: New York Cheesecake uses more cream cheese which is why it’s dense and extremely rich in texture. Regular cheesecake relies on heavy whipping cream to thin the batter and create a silkier, creamier texture. In terms of taste, New York Cheesecake is more tart than a regular cheesecake but retains its distinguish creamy texture.
What is New York Cheesecake Made Of? Ingredients And Equipment Needed For This Recipe
- 9 inch (23 cm) round springform pan
- digestive biscuits
- melted butter
Cream Cheese Filling
- cream cheese
- all-purpose flour
- vanilla extract
- heavy whipping cream
- lemon zest
- sour cream
- vanilla extract
Overview On How To Make New York Style Cheesecake
Part 1: Making The Crust
To make the crust, combine digestive biscuits crumbs, sugar and melted butter in a bowl till all the crumbs is moistened. Then press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of the springform pan. Chill in refrigerator while we make the cream cheese filling.
Part 2: Making Cream Cheese Filling
To make the cream cheese filling, first grate and rub in lemon zest into the sugar. Stir in the flour and set aside. Then place cream cheese, the sugar mixture and vanilla extract into an electric mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment.
Using medium low speed, beat till mixture turns smooth. Next add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Lastly add in the heavy whipping cream and beat until incorporated. Pour the cream cheese filling into the chilled crust. Place the springform pan onto a larger baking pan and we are ready to bake the cheesecake.
Part 3: Baking Cheesecake
First bake the cheesecake in a 180 degree C preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 120 degree C and continue baking for another 60 minutes or until firm. Check for doneness. The centre of the cheesecake will still look a little wet and when you gentle shake the springform pan, the cheesecake will jiggle just a bit. Then it is done. Gently remove the pan from oven and place on wire rack.
Part 4: Making Topping
To make the topping, mix well the sour cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Spread the topping over the top of the warm cheesecake and return to the oven to bake for another 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and place on wire rack. Immediately run a spatula over the inside edge of the pan to loosen the cheesecake. Leave to cool completely on wire rack to room temperature (about 1 hour).
When cooled, run the spatula again over the inside edge of pan and slowly release the clamp on the side of pan. Then place into the refrigerator uncovered to chill for about an hour before covering and continue to chill for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. And we are done!
How To Store and Freeze Cheesecake?
If you’re wondering how to store and freeze cheesecake: Frozen Cheesecake can last for a few months. To freeze, place the cooled cheesecake on the baking pan and freeze, uncovered until it is firm. Then wrap in foil and place in a freezer bag. Seal the freezer bag and place back into the freezer. To consume, thaw the cheesecake, uncovered in the refrigerator overnight.
Tips For Making The Best New York Cheesecake
- For the base of the cheesecake, you can either use Graham Cracker biscuits or the more common Digestive biscuits to make the crust (or even Oreo cookies if you like). You can crush the biscuits using the food processor or place into a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- To make sure that you have the right amount of crumbs to melted butter for the crust, once you have mixed the biscuit crumbs, sugar and melted butter together, squeeze some of it in your hand. If the crumbs hold together well then it is ready to be used for the crust of the cheesecake.
- Be sure to use full fat (regular) cream cheese for the cheesecake filling. Also make sure the cream cheese, eggs and heavy cream are at room temperature.
- Cheesecake is very rich. So adding a little lemon zest into the cheesecake filling is great as it can cut through the richness of the cheesecake.
- When you grate lemon zest, it will tend to clump together. So to prevent lemon zest from clumping together, mix the lemon zest into sugar with a fork. Also, the oil from the lemon zest will kind of flavour the sugar.
- To prevent baked cheesecake from cracking, we need to know what causes the crack. Cracks on the surface of baked cheesecake are caused either by over beating the batter and/or over baking the cheesecake. Hence make sure you beat the batter using low speed as you do not want to incorporate a lot of air in the batter. Beat the batter only until they are nice and smooth.
- To make sure the cheesecake is not over baked in the oven, bake till the cheesecake is firm, but if you shake the baking pan gently, it should still jiggle a little and the centre of the cheesecake will still look a bit wet. Once removed from the oven, immediately run a spatula over the inner edges of the springform pan. This is because as the cheesecake cools, it will shrink so we do not want the sides to be sticking to the edges and when it contracts will create cracking.
- For the cheesecake to deliver its best texture and flavour, refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 24 hours before serving to enjoy.
Easy New York Cheesecake 紐約芝士蛋糕
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 9 inch springform pan
Cheese Cake Crust:
- 200 grams digestive biscuits
- 15 grams sugar
- 113 grams butter, melted
Cheese Cake Filling:
- 4 grams grated lemon zest
- 200 grams sugar
- 27 grams all-purpose flour
- 900 grams cream cheese, full fat, room temperature
- 4 grams vanilla extract, 1 tsp
- 5 eggs, large eggs, room temperature
- 80 grams heavy whipping cream, room temperature
Cheese Cake Topping:
- 240 grams sour cream, room temperature
- 30 grams sugar, 2 tbsp
- 2 grams vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C and leave rack in centre of oven. Prepare a springfoam baking pan and brush with melted butter the sides and bottom of pan.
- Have ready Ingredients needed to make the crust.
- Place digestive biscuits in ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin. Then place into a mixing bowl.
- Combine the digestive biscuit crumbs with sugar and melted butter and stir until all the biscuit crumbs are moistened.
- Have ready ll ingredients to make the Cheese Cake filling.
- First grate lemon zest from 1 lemon into the sugar. Then stir in all-purpose flour.
- Place cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl of an electric mixer fixed with the paddle attachment. Using medium low, beat till smooth. Be sure to scrape down the sides when needed.
- Then add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next, add in the whipping cream and continue to beat till everything is well mixed.
- Remove the crust from the refrigerator and place the springform pan on a bigger baking pan so that any drips can be contained. Pour in the cheesecake filling. Smoothen the top with a spatula. And we are ready to bake the cheesecake.
- Place the baking pan into the preheated oven (180°C) and bake for 15 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 120°C and continue to bake for another 60 minutes or until firm.
- The cheese cake is done when the centre of the cake will still look a little wet and will jiggle a little if the baking pan is gently shake. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- Have ready ingredients to make the cheesecake topping.
- Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Stir to combine well.
- While the cheesecake is still warm, spread the cheesecake topping evenly and place the cheesecake back into the oven to bake for another 15 minutes at 120°C.
- Once the cheese cake is cooled to room temperature, run the spatula one more time around the inside of pan and slowly release the clamp.
- Then place in the refrigerator, uncovered, to chill for about one hour. Then cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight before serving. And we are done!
- After chilled overnight and the cheesecake is nice and firm, use a sharp knife to cut through and into slices.
- This cheesecake taste good on its own or you can served topped with fresh berries or fruit sauce. So Enjoy!
Prepare Cheesecake Crust:
Prepare Cheese Cake Filling:
Topping For Cheesecake:
- Make sure the cream cheese, eggs heavy whipping cream and sour cream are at room temperature before use and use full fat (regular) cream cheese.
- To test if you have the right amount of crumbs to melted butter for making the crust, after mixing together squeeze some in your hand. If the crumbs hold together then it is ready to be press into the pan.
- Adding lemon zest into sugar before mixing with the cream cheese will prevent the lemon zest to clump together.
- Adding all-purpose flour into the cream cheese filling gives the cheesecake a cake like texture.
- To prevent cheesecake from cracking, make sure to beat the batter over low speed till nice and smooth. Also do not overtake. Just bake till firm, When shake gently it will still jiggle a little and the centre still looks a bit wet.