Steamed Meat With Salted Egg is a popular steamed dish in the Chinese cuisine and is available in most Chinese eateries. I really love this dish because it is so simple to prepare yet taste … super delicious. It uses only a few ingredients and can be prepared ahead of time. Just perfect for a hassle free home cooked meal after a long day at work as cleaning up is also a breeze. Better still, it can also be cooked together with your rice in the rice cooker if the portion is not too large.
To start, first chop some ginger, garlic and spring onions. Fry the chopped garlic till golden brown and set aside for garnishing later. Wash, clean salted eggs and separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Then cut each egg yolk in halves. Mince some meat and mix well with the salted egg whites. Then add in chopped ginger and spring onion and mix well again. Lastly add in the seasonings, some cornflour and water. Mix well into a sticky paste. Then spread the meat patty onto a shallow steaming plate with a rim and top with the cut egg yolks. Then transfer the plate to a prepared steamer. Cover and steam using high heat for about 20 minutes, till the meat is cooked. And we are done! Remove and serve immediately with hot steamed rice or even porridge. Add on a simple plate of vegetables and that would sum up a wholesome meal.
For many of us, this home style Steamed Meat With Salted Egg is considered a comfort food, bringing back lots of childhood memories. It is just so simple to cook and oh so tasty. When savoured, you will taste the juicy tender steamed meat complimented by the sharp salty taste of the egg whites and the rich delectable egg yolks, not to mention the tasty juices on the steaming plate which is great for spooning over the rice. Truly a taste from home.
Steamed Meat With Salted Egg 咸蛋蒸肉饼
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 250 grams minced meat
- 2 salted eggs, separate yolks / halved and whites
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1 stalk spring onion, diced
- ½ tsp chicken stock granules
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chinese cooking wine, shaoxing wine
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ½ tbsp corn flour
- 3 tbsp water, 60 ml
- 1 tbsp spring onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped and fried
- First, peel and chop some ginger.
- Chop garlic, then fry till golden brown and set aside for garnishing.
- Also dice some spring onion, half to mix into meat and the other half for garnishing.
- Then mince meat and put into a bowl.
- Next, separate salted egg yolks from the whites. First, wash off the salted charcoal paste under running water. Then, separate whites and egg yolks of the washed salted eggs. Cut each egg yolk into halves and set aside.
- Lastly, prepare seasonings for the minced meat.
- Add in the salted egg whites into the minced meat and stir to mix well. Then add in the chopped ginger and half the diced spring onion. Mix again.
- Next add in all the seasoning, cornflour and water. Stir till well combined and meat has a very sticky texture.
- Spread the meat mixture evenly on a round, shallow, and heat proof plate with a rim (to catch the juices that come out of the pork patty). Then, arrange the salted egg yolks on the top. Prepare steamer by bringing water to a rapid boil and place the meat in the steamer. Cover and steam over high heat for 20 to 25 minutes till cooked.
- Remove from steamer and garnish with chopped spring onions and fried garlic.
- Serve hot with steamed white rice and Enjoy!
Preparing Steamed Meat With Salted Egg:
- For best results, use a good cut of pork/meat with enough fat for flavour and texture.
- Try to mince the meat by hand than getting ready ground meat.
- Be sure to use a shallow plate, with a rim for steaming to have the best effect.
- Use the freshest salted duck eggs you can find.
- There will be tasty juices in the steaming plate, great for spooning over rice. The meat will slowly reabsorb these juices as it sits, so it’s best to eat immediately when served.
- Lay out the minced meat on the shallow plate, ensuring even thickness around the plate for even cooking.