The Ultimate Home Cook Comfort Dish: Chinese Steamed Chicken with Dried Shiitake Mushroom
Chinese Steamed Chicken With Dried Shiitake Mushroom is the ultimate home cooked comfort dish that is extremely easy and quick to prepare. It is a dish that you can’t possibly fail. Yes, the cooking process is really so simple. Just mix all the ingredients and put to steam to perfection. Besides, this home style Chinese Steamed Chicken With Shiitake mushroom does bring back fond memories as it is a childhood dish for many as this is commonly cooked by our mothers at home.
A Nostalgic Steamed Dish That You Can Easily Prepare
To cook this dish, start by cutting boneless chicken meat into bite size. Then add in the seasonings and mix well to ensure all the meat is coated with the seasonings. Cover and set aside to marinade for at least 1 hour. Then prepare all the dry ingredients. This includes rehydrating the dried wood ears and dried shiitake mushrooms. Then cut into long strips.
You also need to julienne peeled ginger, peel and chopped garlic. Then deep fry the garlic till golden brown to sprinkle over the steamed chicken. We are now ready to mix all ingredients with the marinated chicken before steaming.
Combine The Ingredients and Steam To Perfection
Mix the julienned ginger, cut wood ear strips and shiitake mushroom strip into the marinated chicken. Then transfer into a steaming plate and steam over medium heat for 20 minutes till the chicken is cooked. And we are done! Before serving, sprinkle over with the fried golden brown garlic and some garlic oil to enhance the flavour and garnish with chopped chillies and spring onions. This dish is served with steamed white rice and enjoy.
A Healthy Steamed Chicken Dish That Is Packed with Flavour
If you like to have a healthy chicken dish with less oil but full of flavour, this Chinese Steamed Chicken With Shiitake mushroom dish is certainly the choice. The steaming method not only preserve the freshness and tenderness of the chicken, it brings out the umami flavour from the dried shiitake mushrooms. The earthy flavour of the dried shiitake mushrooms and dried wood ear mushrooms complement so well the chicken. In addition, dried wood ear mushrooms also adds texture to the dish.
After the dish has been steamed, you’ll also get a delicious, broth-like sauce that tastes totally amazing as the liquid from the soaked dried mushrooms gives the perfect natural flavor to the gravy. Served over steamed rice, be prepared to cook enough as one bowl of rice will certainly not be enough, especially eaten with the gravy from the steamed chicken.
Chinese Steamed Chicken With Dried Shiitake Mushroom 香菇木耳蒸鸡
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 500 grams boneless chicken thigh, or boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrate and sliced into thin strips
- 1 dried wood ear mushroom, rehydrate and cut into thin strips
- 10 grams ginger, sliced and julienned
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking oil, to fry chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Have ready ingredients needed to steam the chicken.
- First transfer dried shiitake mushrooms into a bowl filled with water and soak for about 2 hours to make sure they are fully rehydrated. Squeeze excess water from soaked mushrooms and cut into long slices about 1/4 inch thick and set aside.
- Also transfer the dried wood ear mushrooms into a separate bowl filled with water and soak for 1 to 2 hours till soft. Then cut into long strips and set aside.
- Peel off skin from ginger and julienned into long strips and set aside.
- Then chopped peeled garlic and deep fry in a little oil till golden brown. Pour the golden crisp garlic and garlic oil into a bowl and set aside for later use.
- Cut the deboned chicken thighs into bite size pieces. Transfer into a mixing bowl and add in all seasonings. Mix well and cover with cling wrap and leave to marinade for at least an hour or even overnight in the refrigerator. And we are ready to cook the steamed chicken dish.
- When ready to cook the dish, make sure the marinated chicken is at room temperature. Add the julienned ginger, hydrated wood ears and mushroom strips into the marinated chicken. Lastly spoon in mushroom liquid and stir to mix everything together.
- Arrange the chicken meat mixture in a single layer on a steaming plate. Prepare steamer and place steaming plate in steamer and steam over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes till chicken meat is cooked through.
- Carefully remove the cover from the steamer making sure no water from the cover drip into the dish. Remove the steamed chicken dish onto a wire rack. Sprinkle the fried garlic and garlic oil over the top and garnish with some chopped bird's eye chillies and spring onions and we are ready to serve the dish.
- This steamed chicken dish is best served with piping hot white rice. So Enjoy!
Cooking Steamed Chicken With Shiitake Mushroom:
- Use dried shiitake mushrooms for this dish as it plays a significant role in giving the Unami flavour to the dish. Shiitake mushrooms develop a unique flavour when dried compared to fresh shiitake mushrooms.
- Squeeze out as much water as possible from the soaked shiitake mushrooms. Excess water will dilute the gravy formed during steaming.
- Arrange the chicken meat in a single layer to ensure even cooking.
- Adding a little cornstarch into the chicken meat when about to steam gives the chicken a smoother and velvety texture.