A Humble But Popular Food Eaten Everywhere: Beancurd (Tofu)
Beancurd, more commonly known as tofu is an incredible versatile protein rich food prepared by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into solid white blocks of varying softness. It is also one of the most humble yet popular food that is eaten worldwide. It can be enjoyed uncooked, fried or stir fried, baked or just steamed. Though it may be plain and tasteless on its own, the smooth texture of the beancurd and with the right blend of sauce and ingredients, it can be turned into an extremely flavourful dish as the bland beancurd absorbs all the flavours of the ingredients it is cooked with.
Steamed Beancurd with Preserved Radish: A Steamed Beancurd Dish That Is Delightfully Flavourful Too
Steamed Beancurd With Preserved Radish is an easy beancurd dish to prepare, topped with minced meat and preserved radish. For this dish, we use silken tofu and it is steamed. Steaming is considered to be the healthiest and easiest way to cook beancurd (tofu). It is also considered to be the best cooking method, as steaming can help maintain the beancurd’s original texture and bring out its unique taste.
Simple Cooking Steps For This Delicious Steamed Tofu Dish
To cook Steamed Beancurd With Preserved Radish, first place the soft beancurd onto a shallow steaming plate. Heat up oil in a wok or skillet. Sauté chopped shallot till aromatic. Next add in chopped preserved radish and stir fry till fragrant. Then add in minced meat and fry till meat is separated and turned white.
Finally add in seasonings and give a quick stir fry to mix well. Remove from wok and pour over the top of the prepared beancurd and steamed over high heat for just 10 minutes. This helps to bring out the flavours and also helps to remove the soy raw taste from the beancurd. Lastly garnish with some chopped spring onions and chillies. And we’re done!
Smooth Custard-like Beancurd, Topped with Fragrant Preserved Radish Minced Meat Topping
Serve the dish hot with steaming rice. This soft, custard-like and smooth beancurd with the generous toppings of minced meat and preserved radish tastes light, refreshing yet bursting with flavours. Will certainly win everyone’s heart. This quick, easy and hassle free beancurd dish is certainly a good choice if you are in need to whip up something nice but do not have the time. So enjoy!
Steamed Beancurd With Preserved Radish 菜脯蒸豆腐
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 block beancurd, white beancurd
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 shallot, chopped
- 35 grams preserved radish, soaked, chopped
- 100 grams minced meat
Marinade for Meat:
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 stalk spring onion, diced
- 1 chilli, sliced
- Have ready ingredients needed to cook the dish.
- Place the block of white beancurd on a deep steaming plate.
- Soaked chopped preserved radish, drained and set aside.
- Mince the meat and marinade with salt, sesame oil and cornflour for at least 30 minutes.
- Chop two shallots and set aside.
- Dice spring onion and slice red chilli for garnishing.
- Have ready seasonings for the dish. And we are ready to cook the dish.
- Heat up 1 tbsp cooking oil. Add in chopped shallot and saute till fragrant.
- Then add in soaked chopped radish and stir fry till aromatic.
- Next add in minced meat, fry till the meat is separated and turned white. Add in the seasoning and continue to stir fry till well mixed.
- Remove and place over beancurd.
- Prepare steamer by bringing water to a boil. Place the beancurd into steamer and steam on high heat for 10 minutes. Then remove from wok.
- Top with chopped spring onion and red chilli. Serve hot with steam rice and Enjoy!
Cooking BeanCurd Dish:
- Leave the beancurd (tofu) in the plate for a few minutes, then carefully discard the water released before adding other ingredients and steamed.
- The texture of the beancurd (tofu) can vary from very soft to super firm and this normally determines the way it is prepared. Silken tofu is best steamed or added to soups while firm tofu is used in fried, stir-fries and braised dishes.
- To steam the beancurd, fill half of the steamer with water and place it on the stove. Bring the water to a boil using high heat. Once the water is already boiling, add the block of beancurd. 7 to 10 minutes is needed to thoroughly steam the beancurd.
Is it the sweet or salty preserved radish?
I use salted preserved radish.