White Radish: Delicious and Rich with Antioxidants and Minerals
White radish, also known as Daikon, Japanese radish, Chinese radish, Winter radish and Luobo is widely used in Asian Cuisines. The vegetable resembles a plump white carrot and can be eaten raw, cooked or pickled. Radish is believed to be rich in antioxidants and minerals like calcium and potassium, hence has some health benefits as well. The health benefits include cleansing and detoxifying properties for the digestive system. So whenever you feel that you need to detoxify, just boil a pot of this yummy soup.
Chinese White Radish Soup: A Classic Chinese Soup That Is Simply Delicious and Nutritious
This is one of the many favourite soups my family enjoys. Commonly boiled with chicken meat or pork ribs, my family’s version always comes with a handful of lightly crushed white peppercorn. This is to add a little heat to balance the cooling effect white radish is believed to possess. Also as mentioned earlier, this radish soup helps in cleansing and detoxifying our digestive system, said my mum every time we have this soup at home.
A Simple Chinese Style Boiled Soup That You Can Easily Make At Home
Chinese White Radish Soup is very simple to prepare and requires only a handful of ingredients. The two essential ingredients for the soup are the white radish and meat. Red dates and goji berries are added to sweeten and enhance the soup naturally. White peppercorns gives an extra kick and spice to the warming soup. This simple soup can be cook over the stove, in a slow cooker; or if time is a factor, in a pressure cooker. Whichever way, the soup will turn out great if sufficient time is used to cook it.
A Hearty Soup Full Of Nourishing Ingredients
To cook the soup, first, blanch the meat to remove impurities and prepare all the other ingredients needed. Next, boil water in a big pot. After that, add in the blanched meat and all the other ingredients. Then, bring the water to a boil then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer till meat turns tender. Lastly, season with salt to taste and the hot soup is ready to be served.
A Fantastic Soup That’s Amazingly Healthy Too
With a touch of sweetness from the red dates and goji berries, plus the extra kick and spice from the white peppercorns, this soup is indeed a refreshing, comforting, and hearty soup everyone will enjoy every now and then. Low in calories with virtually no cholesterol, these chunks of radish make for a very good dietary option for many people too.
Chinese White Radish Soup 白萝卜胡椒汤
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 300 grams chicken whole leg, skinned and cut into pieces
- 1 white radish, 200 grams
- 8 red dates, soak to soften
- 1 tbsp white peppercorns, whole, lightly crushed
- 1 tbsp goji berries, (chinese wolfberries), soaked in cold water till plump
- 1500 ml water, 6 cups
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- Have ready all ingredients to make the soup.
- First, peel the chinese white radish with vegetable peeler first, trim and discard the tip and end. Then cut into chunks and set aside.
- Wash the chicken meat, trimming away excess fat and then chop into smaller pieces. Blanch the chicken pieces in a pot of boiling water to remove the scum. Set the chicken pieces aside.
- Next, rinse the red dates cleaned with water. Use a small pairing knife to create a few slits around the edge on one end of the red dates. This helps to release flavour and nutrients into the soup.
- Then rinse and soak dried goji berries in water for a few minutes until they've softened. Drained and set aside.
- Lastly, lightly crush white peppercorns and set aside. And we are ready to cook the soup.
- Heat up enough water for the soup, about 6 cups.
- When water is boiling, add the chicken pieces, chunks of radish, red dates and rehydrated goji berries.
- Lastly add in lightly crushed whole white peppercorns. Bring to a rapid boil. Leave to boil for about 15 minutes. Then cover, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for about 2 hours.
- Simmer until the chicken meat turns tender and the soup is reduced to about 5 cups. Then season with salt to taste. Stir to mix well. Turn the heat back up and bring the soup to a boil before turning off the heat. And we are done!
- Serve the soup hot in serving bowl and Enjoy!
Cooking White Radish Soup:
- This soup can be cooked in a pressure cooker, slow cooker or on the stove. Add all ingredients, fill with water and set to cook 20 minutes under pressure, 8 hours on slow cooker or 2 hours simmer on low heat on the stove.
- Can use pork instead of chicken if preferred.
- Radish last quite a long time in the refrigerator. To store, cut off as much green leaves as possible, wrap each daikon tightly in plastic wrap before storing. They’ll last for at least one week.
- As chinese white radish helps our body to detox, it is not encouraged to drink this soup if you’re taking herbal tonics or medication as it will neutralize their efficacy.
Great recipe. I added a scallop for additional umami flavor. I would use 6 dried dates I had larger dates. 1 would pit them first. I would also remove all chicken bones.
Thanks for your feedback. Enjoy!