Fish head noodle is a popular hawker’s dish. It’s also something you can easily cook at home as it’s super easy and quick. The fish soup is a delicious and infamous milky white broth and its not ‘fishy-smelling’ as the fish has been fried and then simmered with ginger, pickled mustard greens and tomatoes. Certainly a flavourful and appetizing dish.
Fish Head Noodle Soup
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 350 g fish head, cut into big pieces, preferably garoupa fish
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup cornflour flour, or tapioca flour
- 250 g rice noodles, or beehoon, round and spaghetti-thick
- 1 piece pickled mustard greens, cut into long strips
- 50 g young ginger, sliced thinly
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 pickled plum, mashed
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 litre water, or chicken stock for more flavour
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock granules
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stalk spring onions, cut into sections
- Wash fish head, cut into big pieces and drained well.
- Sprinkle and rub some salt and pepper on the fish to marinate them for 1 hour.
- Next lightly rub cornstarch over the fish. (Add a little rice flour to the fish if you want the fish to stay crispier for a longer time).
- Then fry the fish head in the oil. Fry for about 5 minutes and then turn them over. Fry them until brown and crispy, another 10 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on strainer.
- Prepare ingredients to make the soup. First cut pickled mustard greens into strips, cut tomatoes into wedges, slice ginger into pieces and cut spring onions for garnishing.
- To make the soup, first heat up a little oil in wok or pan. Then add in slices of ginger.
- Add a dash of sesame oil and stir fry until fragrant.
- Then add the cut tomatoes and pickled mustard greens followed by sour and salty mashed sour plum.
- Next add in chicken stock or water. Cover and bring it to a boil. Let it boil over high heat for 10 minutes.
- Then open the lid, stir and turn down the heat to low and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove all the cooked vegetables, ginger and plum seeds from the wok with a strainer.
- Blanch the green lettuce in the boiling soup and set aside.
- Next, add the fried fish head pieces to the soup and boil for a few minutes. Remove from the wok with a strainer and set aside.
- Lastly add in the evaporated milk and fish sauce to taste.
- To serve, put the cooked noodles in a serving bowl. Add the blanched lettuce, fried fish and finally the delicious milky white soup.
- Garnish with cut tomatoes, pickled mustard green and green onions.
- Serve the fish head noodle soup hot with chopped bird's eye chilies in soy sauce.
To cook Fish Head Noodle Soup:
To make fish head noodle soup:
SO … ENJOY!