This recipe works with any kind of firm white whole fish. The ideal length for the fish is about the size of a big dinner plate. This is one fish dinner dish that will surely increase your appetite as it is crispy, meaty, crunchy and only a little spicy. It’s just perfect served alongside a fish curry dipping sauce.
Crispy Fried Fish Asian Style
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 whole fish, scaled and gutted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks curry leaves
- 100 g ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon fish curry powder
- 1 cup peanut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash, rinse, scaled and gut the fish. Make 2 slits on both sides. Drained and season with salt and fish curry powder.
- Wash, rinse 1 stalk of curry leaves, julienned the ginger and mince garlic.
- Heat up the oil in a large wok. Add the stalk of curry leaves and fry until it turn brown.
- Gently put the seasoned fish into the hot oil. It's fine if the head and tail are not submerged. Use a large spoon to baste the fish with the hot oil as it cooks.
- Leave to fry for about 5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fish). Fry it till very crispy and golden brown. Carefully flip the fish over. Fry for another 5 minutes.
- When the fish is cooked, remove and drain on kitchen paper. Then lay the fish on serving plate.
- Using the same hot oil, fry the ginger strips till golden brown. Strain and sprinkle on top of the fish. Next fry the minced garlic until they are a lovely brown, remove to put over the fish.
- Garnish with some red chilies and serve alongside a curry dipping sauce and white rice.
To cook Crispy Fried Fish Asian Style:
AS ALWAYS … ENJOY!