Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites With Dried Scallop is a popular chinese delicacy that you can easily prepare at home. Packed with wonderful flavours, this impressive egg white dish is served in a broccoli ring with a garnish of sautéed dried scallops and egg yolk on top.
Watch How To Make Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites (Sai Pang Xie)
What is Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites 上海鲜奶赛螃蟹?
This traditional Chinese dish, Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites With Dried Scallop is a quick and easy dish that you can prepare at home and it is packed with wonderful flavours. This popular dish is believed to be of Shanghainese origin and there are different variations to it.
Although the chinese name of this dish, Sai Pang Xie (赛螃蟹) has the word “crab” in it, there’s actually no crab in this dish at all. The original recipe uses only egg whites and fresh milk. For this recipe, I have added dried scallop (conpoy) to make it extra special. This recipe is also a healthier, less oil version to cook this classic dish.
What Ingredients Are Used To Make Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites 上海鲜奶赛螃蟹?
This dish uses fresh milk, egg whites, cornstarch and a cooking technique to create delicate clouds of snowy white curds. The end result of the beautiful egg white clouds has an amazing texture that resembles crab meat. Hence, this dish is also known as “Imitated Crab” or “Better Than Crab”, which is the literal translation of the chinese name “Sai Pang Xie 赛螃蟹”. The whole dish takes only about 15 to 20 minutes to cook.
How To Serve Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites 上海鲜奶赛螃蟹?
This Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites is served in a broccoli ring with garnish of sautéed dried scallops on top. To make it even more impressive, a raw egg yolk is poured in the middle of the dish. This dish is usually enjoyed with a drizzle of aromatic chinese black vinegar on top. Mix everything together and enjoy!
This Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites tastes pretty light, extremely delicious and look absolutely stunning when served on the plate. It is a standby dish you can easily whip up when entertaining your guests. They will surely be impressed. This is certainly a crowdpleaser dish.
How To Cook Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites 上海鲜奶赛螃蟹
Part 1: Prepare Ingredients and Broccoli Ring
To make this simple yet elegant dish, first soak dried scallop in water for about an hour or until soft. Then drain out the water and shred into thin pieces using your fingers. Retain a bigger portion to cook with the egg whites and a smaller portion to fry for garnishing.
Heat up a pan with a little oil. Once hot, add in the dried scallop and fry till fragrant and turns golden brown. Set aside for later use. Then bring a pot of water to a boil, add in a pinch of salt and blanch cut broccoli for about 2 minutes till crisp tender. Submerge into an ice water bath for about 5 seconds to retain the bright green colour. Arrange the broccoli around a serving plate and set aside while we prepare to fry the egg whites.
Part 2: Prepare Egg White Mixture
To prepare the egg white mixture, gently stir to mix the fresh milk, sugar, white pepper, salt and cornstarch into the egg white mixture till well mixed. Stir in the rehydrated dried scallop strips.
Part 3: Frying Egg White Mixture (The Most Important Part)
Then prepare to fry the egg white mixture. Heat up oil in wok over medium high heat. When oil is hot enough, reduce to very low heat. Pour in the egg white mixture. You should see the bottom layer firm up and turns opaque. Then using a wok ladle, lightly fry in circular motions and up the sides of the wok. Repeat until all the egg white mixture is slowly cooked and come together and form into curds. And we are done!
Once almost cooked, remove from wok immediately and gently ladle the soft and moist curds onto the prepared serving plate. To serve, scatter the dried scallops around and top with an egg yolk at the centre. Drizzle over some aromatic black vinegar and Enjoy!
Important Cooking Tips To Make Soft and Fluffy Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites 上海鲜奶赛螃蟹
- When adding milk and egg whites, beat to mix well (about 1 minute) or else the milk and egg whites will separate during the cooking process.
- When frying the egg milk mixture, make sure to use low heat. Otherwise the egg whites will easily be burnt, turn tough, or will not retain its snowy white colour.
- The key to this dish is the cooking technique. Gentle frying in circular motions till egg mixture slowly cooked and allows cloud like curds to form. Also, it helps the egg whites to coagulate layer by layer and form like a cloud texture.
- It is important not to stir and try not to break the formed curds as much as possible.
- This is a fast cooked dish so speed and careful attention of the heat in the wok are essential. Otherwise the fried egg whites may be overcooked, burnt and will not be soft and moist. Before the eggs are almost set and still appear moist and soft, immediately remove from heat.
Shanghai Stir Fry Egg Whites (Sai Pang Xie) 上海赛螃蟹
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 7 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 grams dried scallops
- 100 ml milk, or ½ cup
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch, or potato starch
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Prepare all ingredients needed to make the dish.
- Soak dried scallop in water. When rehydrated, shred into thin pieces and set aside. Divide into two portions, the smaller portions for garnishing.
- In a small saucepan, heat up a little oil. Saute a small portion of dried scallop till fragrant and turns golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cut broccoli into florets and cut stalk into slices. Heat a pot of boiling water. Add in a pinch of salt. Cook broccoli for 2 minutes. Then scoop and place into iced water for 5 seconds just to stop them from cooking.
- Then arranged the blanched broccoli in a ring on a plate, with broccoli stalk slices in the middle. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, mix together milk, sugar, ground white pepper, salt and cornflour till well incorporated. Then set aside.
- Separate 6 egg whites into a mixing bowl. Retain 1 egg yolk for garnish. Briefly whisk egg whites. While mixing, gradually pour in the milk mixture. Whisk for 1 minute. Add in the portion of dried scallop strips.
- First, heat up ⅓ cup of oil in a non-stick wok over medium heat. When oil is heated up, reduce heat to very low. Then gently pour the egg white mixture into the middle of the wok.
- Lightly push the mixture forward with a wok ladle. A gentle scraping of cooked curds to one side allows cloud like curds to form. You’ll see the egg whites slowly cooked and come together. Fry until almost done (about 30 seconds). Make sure it is soft and moist. Turn off the heat to maintain the soft cooked stage. And we are done!
- Place the soft egg whites in the middle of the broccoli ring, add prepared egg yolk in the centre and sprinkle fried dried scallop over the top.
- This elegant dish is usually served drizzled with aromatic black or red vinegar over it. It can be eaten as is or with steamed rice. Do give it a try and Enjoy!
Prepare the Garnish:
Prepare Ingredients For Fried Egg Whites:
Stir Fry Egg Whites:
- When cutting the broccoli into small pieces, do not waste the stems. Peel it and blanch together with the broccoli florets and place at the centre of the dish.
- Adding blanched broccoli into ice bath stops the cooking and will turn the broccoli bright green in colour and tender crisp.
- Use at least 2-3 tablespoons of oil when stir frying the egg white. Slow and low heat is recommended to keep the egg white soft and moist.
- Check oil by sticking in a wooden chopstick. If little bubbles form, the oil is hot enough.