You only need one good basic bread recipe and this homemade Basic White Bread Loaf is simply the best! Easy to make using the bread machine and simple ingredients, this homemade bread loaf is so soft and tastes amazing too.
Watch Video On How To Make Basic White Bread Loaf (Bread Machine)
Soft and Fluffy Homemade Basic White Bread Loaf (Bread Machine Recipe)
Love the smell of freshly baked homemade bread but just do not have the time to bake one yourself? This Basic White Bread Loaf recipe using the bread machine may just be for you. It is easy to make, has a nice texture, tastes and looks great and is made with simple ingredients.
Perfect for those who enjoy a fresh loaf of homemade bread but don’t have the time to make it the traditional way by kneading and forming by hand. All it takes is just a few minutes of your time and the bread machine will do the rest. This simple yet delicious homemade basic white bread truly does not disappoint when it comes to quality and flavour.
You only need one good white bread recipe and this is definitely one of them. So, let’s start baking! :)
What Are The Ingredients Used To Make Basic White Bread Loaf?
This basic white bread loaf is made with simple ingredients, namely milk, sugar, salt, olive oil, bread flour and instant yeast.
Just like our Homemade Banana Bread or Matcha Green Tea Milk Bread, this basic white bread is perfect for breakfast with a spread of butter. Or, make a hainanese style breakfast with toasted slices of white bread, sandwiched with thick cuts of butter and creamy Hainanese Style Homemade Caramel Kaya or Nyonya Style Homemade Pandan Kaya.
How To Make Basic White Bread Loaf Using A Bread Machine?
Part 1: Making Bread Dough
To make this simple basic white bread using the bread machine, first put all the ingredients except the olive oil into the bread pan. Start by adding the milk and lastly, the bread flour and yeast.
Place the bread pan into the bread machine, close the lid and use the setting “Rapid Knead” to knead the dough for 20 minutes. After 3 minutes of kneading, gradually add in the olive oil. Then leave to proof in the bread machine for 45 minutes.
After the first proof, turn the proofed dough onto a lightly floured surface. Remove the kneading paddle in the dough. Shape the dough into a smooth and taut ball. Flatten the dough into a rectangle. Fold in the middle on both sides and flatten again. Then roll up the dough tightly and gently place it back into the bread pan.
Leave to proof for another 45 minutes. Then we are ready to bake the bread.
Part 2: Baking Bread Loaf
Set the baking preference to medium and use the setting “bake” to bake for 50 minutes till the bread turns golden brown on the top. When done, remove from bread machine immediately and let sit for 5 minutes before transferring the freshly baked bread onto a wire rack.
Allow to cool completely (about an hour) before cutting into slices to enjoy. And we are done!
Important Points on This Basic White Bread Loaf Recipe
➤ Proofing Bread Dough
Proofing the bread dough is very important when making bread.
The first proof allows the yeast and gluten to develop, hence leavening the bread dough. It enhances the bread flavour as well. The second proof allows us to get a well risen, airy and light bread loaf.
However, do not over-proof or under-proof the bread dough. Over-proofing can result in an unpleasant yeasty taste. If over-proof during the second proof, it is likely for the crust to not shape well, or separate from the rest of the loaf, or even result in big holes in the bread and causing it to collapse.
If the dough is under-proof, the result may be a smaller bread loaf that is denser and has less volume.
➤ Forming Bread Loaf
After the first proof, remove the dough from the bread pan and form into a log to fit back into the bread pan.
To do this, first, shape the proofed dough into a smooth and taut round shape on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough into a rectangle. The length of the rectangle should be slightly shorter than the length of the bread pan.
Fold over to the middle and flatten again. Then tightly roll up the dough, tucking in the sides and pinching the seams of the dough at the end. This prevents large air pockets from forming inside the dough as it proofs and bakes.
Then carefully place the bread dough log into the bread pan, seam side down and gently press it into the corners and bottom of the pan.
➤ Cooling Bread After Baking
Remove from bread pan immediately after baking. At most, let sit for only 5 minutes in the pan and remove to cool on a wire rack. This will prevent any condensation from forming in the pan and making the bread moist and soggy.
Best Tips for Making Bread At Home and Using Bread Machine
- Use good quality bread flour. Try not to use all-purpose flour. This is because bread flour contains a higher percentage of gluten which will result in taller and less dense loaves. Using bread flour will also lead to a chewier bread texture which is incredibly delicious.
- Make sure that the yeast used is still active. When adding yeast, make sure you add it last and add it on top of dry ingredients (flour). Make sure the yeast does not reach wet ingredients. Basically, make a small indentation on top of the flour and add the yeast.
- When you measure flour using cups, make sure not to pack flour too densely in a measuring cup. Otherwise, you will end up with much more flour than you need, resulting in a much denser bread. Alternatively, you can weigh the flour instead which is a better option.
- If you are using your bread machine to mix, knead, and bake, do not open the lid during the preheat and baking cycle. Otherwise, heat may be lost and the cold air can cause the bread to collapse in the middle. On the other hand, it is fine to open the lid during the mixing and kneading cycle.
- Try not to open the bread machine lid in the middle of the proofing period. You don’t want any heat to escape, thus slowing down the rise of the dough.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Basic White Bread Loaf Recipe
To get perfect and even slices, make sure the bread is completely cooled before cutting. Otherwise, the steam from the hot loaf can make cutting it a lot harder, by dragging the knife as it slices. Use a good long and sturdy serrated knife, one that is specifically formulated for bread cutting would be ideal.
Keep sliced homemade bread in an air-tight container. Any container will do, as long as the lid fits tightly enough to keep air out. You can also wrap it with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out. This can last 4 to 5 days at room temperature. Or you can wrap tightly the whole loaf or after slicing in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
Soggy homemade bread when using bread machine is usually caused by condensation formed in the pan. After baking is completed, remove bread pan immediately from bread machine. This will prevent condensation from forming.
Always use high protein bread flour to make homemade bread loaves. It is better to measure the flour using a weighing scale, as sometimes flour can be overly packed when using measuring cups, thus resulting in more flour than needed.
Basic White Bread Loaf (Bread Maker) 白面包(面包机)
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- Bread Maker
- 300 ml warm milk, or warm water
- 65 grams sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 480 grams bread flour, unbleached
- 1½ tsp yeast
- 2½ tsp oil, neutral oil / olive oil
- Have ready all ingredients needed to make the bread.
- In the bread pan, add in the liquid milk, then sugar, salt, bread flour and finally the yeast.
- Put the bread pan into the bread maker. Use setting Rapid Keading or Knead for other models and knead for 20 minutes. After 3 minutes of kneading, open the cover and slowly add in olive oil. Then continue the kneading till end of the 20 minutes.
- Leave the bread dough in the bread machine to proof (1st proof) for 45 minutes. Then remove the risen dough from the bread machine.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured counter top. Be sure to remove the kneading paddle from under the dough. Shape dough into a smooth and taut ball. Then flatten into a rectangle using a rolling pin.
- Fold the dough inward to the centre on both sides. Flatten again into a rectangle. Then roll up the dough tightly.
- Pinch the seams of the dough, tuck the sides in and pinch them into the dough as well. Place the bread dough into the bread pan with the tucked ends and seam side down.
- Put the pan into the bread machine and leave to proof (2nd proof) for another 45 minutes.
- Then set the crust to medium and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the pan from the bread machine. Let sit for 5 minutes and shake the bread out. Allow it to cool completely on wire rack before slicing. And we are done!
- Use the freshly baked loaf to make a breakfast toast with butter and jam and Enjoy!
Prepare Bread Dough:
- Roll dough up into a cylinder starting at the short edge. I’ve found that rolling the dough up this way really helps with the texture and shape of the finished loaves.
- The first proof is important to allow the yeast and gluten to develop. This plays a huge role in the flavor of the final product as well. The second proof is important to get a beautifully risen, airy and light bread loaf.
- Turn the bread dough out on to a slightly floured counter top. Flatten the dough with a rolling pin. This removes excess air that formed in the dough while it was proofing.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. If you gently tap on the loaf, it should sound hollow.
- It’s important to tightly roll up the dough while pinching it into itself. This prevents large air pockets from forming inside the dough as it proofs and bakes.