A Simple Noodle Dish: Shanghai Zha Jiang Noodles 上海炸酱面
Shanghai Zha Jiang Noodles (上海炸酱面) literally means “Fried Sauce Noodles” is actually a meat sauce noodles in soybean paste. I would say, its the Asian version of spaghetti with meat sauce. A deeply flavourful noodle dish, it consists of thick wheat noodles topped with zhajiang sauce.
Filled with The Signature Fragrance of Fermented Soybean Sauce
This flavourful sauce is made by simmering stir-fried ground meat with a thick fermented soybean sauce which is the highlight of this noodle dish. The two essential soybean sauce vital for this dish consists of the sweet bean sauce and the ground soybean paste. It gives the noodles a lovely savoury flavour.
Only Simple Ingredients Needed To Make This Delicious Noodle Dish
This Shanghai Zha Jiang noodle recipe has very simple ingredients that create a really flavourful noodle dish. The fermented bean paste sauces is fried to bring out its depth of flavour and the sauce is gently cooked with mince meat until it’s super rich. Topped on cooked noodles, it infuses the noodles with a satisfying intense richness. Its a dish of perfectly chewy noodles with a thick and flavourful meaty sauce.
As always, ENJOY!
Shanghai Char Jiang Noodles 上海炸酱面
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 250 grams thick noodles, fresh
- 100 grams meat, minced
- 1 tbsp Tapioca flour, marinate meat
- 1 can button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 grams onion, diced
- 1 tbsp chili bean sauce, doubanjiang sauce
- 1 tbsp black bean sauce
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 60 ml water
- 1 stalk spring onion/scalion, diced
- 1 red chili, diced
- First, cook the fresh thick noodles in boiled water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside on a plate.
- Next, marinade minced meat with tapioca flour for at least 30 minutes. And we are ready to make the gravy for the noodles.
- First heat up wok with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and saute chopped garlic and onions until fragrant. Add marinated meat and fry till meat changes colour. Then mix in spicy and sweet bean paste. Continue frying and add in sliced button mushrooms.
- Next, add in chicken stock and seasonings. Bring the stock mixture to a boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture, and mix till gravy thickens.
- Pour gravy over thick noodles and serve immediately.
- Garnish with spring onions and red chili before serving. Be sure to mix well the noodles and gravy and ENJOY!