Black Promfret is a very tasty fish and it is so easy and quick to prepare with very few ingredients and spices. In this dish, the black promfret is fried and put aside. Then the sauce is cooked and the fried promfret added and allow to simmer for a short while. Here I have added tofu which is a great accompaniment to the dish.
Braised Black Promfret with Tofu
- 1 black promfret, 300 g
- 3 pieces semi-soft tofu, cut into cubes
- 30 g fermented bean paste, taucho
- 10 g ginger, julienned
- 10 g garlic, minced
- 10 g spring onion, cut 1 inch long
- 1/2 bowl water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Oil , for frying
- cornstarch water
- Clean fish and pat dry. Rub a little salt on fish and marinade for about 15 minutes. Then pat a little cornstarch on it.
- Heat up oil and deep fry fish until golden brown. Drain and leave aside.
- Cut the tofu into big cubes. Then pan fry until golden brown. Drain and leave aside.
- Using a separate pan or wok, heat up 2 teaspoon oil.
- Then add the garlic and ginger strips. Stir fry until garlic and ginger turns golden brown.
- Then add some spring onions and taucho.
- Stir fry again using medium heat.
- Then add in water, soy sauce and sugar to taste.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, add in the fried promfret and the tofu.
- Cover and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch water.
- Garnish with some spring onions and red chillies. Serve hot.