Sizzling Hot Plate Dishes, Definitely Everyone’s Favourite
Who doesn’t love sizzling hot plates? We all know everyone loves food especially when served on a sizzling hot plate! It brings so much joy and excitement seeing and hearing the sizzles as the food is being brought to the table. Serving food on a hot plate is some what special compared to just serving on normal plates. The sizzling hot plate when served on the table is like an occasion for celebration and enjoyment. And its not just the sizzling effect on the hot plate that is extraordinary, it really makes the food taste amazingly delicious.
A Popular All Time Favourite Dish in Chinese Restaurants: Sizzling Hot Plate Beancurd 铁板豆腐
Sizzling hot plate beancurd is extremely delicious and is one of the most popular dishes served in most Chinese eateries and restaurants. The golden crispy egg beancurd with minced meat are simmered in a thick savoury sauce and served on a sizzling hot plate. It is not only impressive to the eyes but taste absolutely delicious. It gives you that warm, contented and amazing feeling in every mouthful. And it actually works very well as a home dish too as it is very easy to prepare.
If a hot plate is not available, it can be served on any normal serving plate as well. Simply fry the eggs and lay it on the plate. Then pour the beancurd and hot sauce over it. The sizzling effect however will be missing though. But taste wise, it is just as great.
Let’s Make Delicious Sizzling Hot Plate Beancurd At Home
To cook sizzling hot plate beancurd, first have ready all the ingredients needed. Mince and marinade meat which can be chicken, beef or pork. Rehydrate dried shiitake mushrooms and minced as well. Mince garlic, ginger and slice shallot. Cut the egg beancurd into thick pieces and deep fry till golden brown. Also mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
Then heat up oil and sauté the chopped garlic, ginger and shallot till aromatic. Add in the minced meat and mushroom. Stir fry and mix well before adding in the sauce. Then pour in the water and bring to a boil. Thicken with cornstarch solution and add in the fried egg beancurd. Mix well and transfer the beancurd and meat sauce gravy onto a preheated hot plate lined with egg omelette and you are ready to serve and enjoy.
A Real Comfort Food To Be Enjoyed
This hot plate beancurd dish is a real comfort food that can be easily whipped up at home to share with family members and friends. It is also one of those dishes you can easily make during weekdays, just with some minced meat and of course the delicious egg beancurd which is crispy on the outside and silky smooth on the inside when fried. It is an extremely versatile dish too.
If you wish to serve a vegetarian version of the hot plate beancurd, just substitute the egg beancurd with plain firm/semi firm beancurd and omit the minced meat. The minced dried shiitake mushroom will just do as it has an aromatic fragrance to it. Which ever version is preferred, served alongside with some steamed fragrant white rice, this sizzling hot plate beancurd dish is truly amazing. So Enjoy!
Sizzling Hot Plate Beancurd 铁板豆腐
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- Hot Plate
- 2 tubes egg tofu, cut into 6 pieces/ tube
- 150 grams meat , minced, can be chicken, beef or pork meat
- 3 dried shiitake mushroom, rehydrate and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 grams ginger, minced (1 tbsp)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten, for base of hot plate
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cooking oil, deep frying egg beancurd
- 1/4 cup cooking oil, frying the meat
Marinade for Meat:
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoxing cooking wine
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 stalk spring onion, dice
- 1 red chilli, slice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Prepare all ingredients needed to cook the dish.
- Cut meat into pieces, then minced into small pieces and put into a bowl.
- Mix minced meat with soy sauce, salt, white pepper, cornflour and sesame oil. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in water until soft. Then, cut them into thin strips, minced and set aside.
- Mince garlic and ginger. Also slice shallot. Set aside for later use.
- Also dice spring onion and slice red chillies. Set aside for garnishing.
- Use a knife to cut right through the middle tube of tofu. Press the end of the package to allow the tofu to slide out. Cut into 6 slices (1.5cm thick). Repeat for the other tube of tofu.
- Then proceed to mix all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and we are ready to cook the hot plate beancurd.
- In a wok, add enough oil to deep fry the egg tofu. Heat up the cooking oil over medium heat until it is very hot. Deep fry the egg tofu until they are golden in color. Remove the deep-fried egg Tofu when done and drained on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Retain 1 tablespoon oil in wok. Heat up oil over medium heat. Saute the sliced shallot, minced garlic and ginger till fragrant.
- Add in minced meat and stir fry till meat separates, about 2 min. Then add the diced mushroom and continue to stir for another 1 min. Next add in the sauce mixture and stir to mix well. Add in water and bring to a boil. Then add in the cornstarch solution.
- Stir and let it simmer for 1 min or until the minced meat gravy thickens. Add in the deep-fried egg Tofu and stir to mix well. Transfer to a bowl and set aside while preparing to serve on a hot plate.
- Heat up a hot plate on the stove over medium to high heat and brush it with some cooking oil. Lightly beat 2 eggs in a bowl and when plate is very hot, pour the eggs over the hot base, give it a qucik swirl, spreading it to all corners of the hot plate. Let the egg cook a little on the hot plate.
- Once the egg is half cooked, immediately but slowly pour the egg tofu and minced meat sauce mixture over it. Allow to simmer until the sauce starts bubbling. Remove from stove, sprinkle with chopped spring onions and sliced red chilies. and serve sizzling hot.
- Hot plate tofu is best served sizzling hot with a bowl of steamed rice.
Cooking Sizzling Hot Plate Beancurd:
- Japanese egg beancurd (tofu) or any kind of egg beancurd is most suited as they have a pleasant eggy flavour. When deep fried, they form a thin crispy layer similar to fried egg. If not available, semi firm beancurd is a good substitute.
- To avoid too much splattering when deep frying egg beancurd, it is advised to drain the cut fresh beancurd on paper towel first before deep frying.
- It is preferred to use a non-stick wok/pan to fry the egg tofu to prevent the tofu from sticking onto the wok/pan.
- When deep frying the egg beancurd, be sure the oil is VERY hot so that the beancurd will be golden brown on the outside and at the same time preserving a silky smooth texture on the inside. Fry one side of tofu till brown before turning over to fry the other side.
- If hot plate is not available, the beancurd and meat sauce can be served on any normal serving plate. You can lay the serving plate with/without an omelette and pour the beancurd and sauce over it.