Steamed Prawns: The Best Way To Cook Prawns and Enjoy The Natural Flavours of Fresh Prawns
Steaming is probably the best way to enjoy these prawns in all its natural sweetness. Especially so, when the prawns are fresh and succulent. This method of cooking preserves the original flavour and prevent any flavour loss. Steaming is not only easy, it is also a very healthy cooking option as well. Hence a welcoming option for those who are extremely health conscious too.
A Simple Yet Flavourful Prawn Dish: Delicious Steamed Garlic Prawns With Amazing Flavours 蒜蓉蒸虾
Steamed Garlic Prawns is an extremely simple yet flavourful prawn dish. All that is needed is lots of fresh garlic, fresh prawns and some simple seasonings to enhance the natural sweetness from the prawns. Simply minced enough garlic. Use half of it to steam the prawns, balance to fry till brown and crispy for garnishing before serving. Top with a simple seasoning sauce, steamed the prepared prawns and we are done!
The garlic’s fragrance, the prawns’ natural sweetness and the aromatic sauce make this dish so wonderfully flavourful. Garlic lovers will definitely love this wonderful dish with such amazing flavours.
Making Seafood Restaurant Style Butterfly Prawns Is Easier Than You Think
For this dish, the prawns are prepared butterfly style, with garlic and gravy drizzled on top. It is actually surprisingly easy to prepare this style of steamed prawns, which is typically served in seafood restaurants. The key is to using sharp scissors to prepare the prawns before cooking. Do refer to our step by step recipe video on how to butterfly prawns, with step by step instructions.
Combination of Steamed Prawns with Glass Noodles, Simply Amazing!
Also, not forgetting the glass noodles which will soak up the sweet and savoury prawn gravy of the steamed prawns. Hence, be sure to use more glass noodles for this dish. Otherwise you may not have enough to enjoy together with the steamed prawns. This dish should be served piping hot, preferably straight from the steamer so be sure to only steam the prawns when about to be served. Can be eaten with steamed white rice or just with the flavourful glass noodles as well.
Steamed Garlic Prawns 蒜米蒸虾
- 10 medium-size prawns , 250 grams; Split back to devein, butterfly the prawns, rinsed and pat dry
- 50 grams glass noodles, soaked in warm water, drained
- 60 grams garlic, 1 bulb, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk spring onion, diced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Have ready some fresh medium size prawns.
- With a pair of sharp kitchen scissors, first cut of the rostrum which is the sharp spine above the prawn head.
- Then trim off the top, whiskers and the legs of prawns. Cut a slit in the middle and gently remove the veins and butterfly the prawns. Be careful not to cut too deep to avoid cutting the prawn into half. Then set aside.
- Also, prepare all ingredients used to steam the prawns.
- First, soak glass noodles in warm water for 10 minutes. Drained and set aside.
- Peel and chop lots of garlic and set aside.
- Dice spring onions for garnishing purpose and set aside. Then we are ready to prepare the steaming sauce.
- First heat 1 tbsp cooking oil and fry half of the chopped garlic. Fry for a short while (no need to brown the garlic).
- Then add in the oyster sauce and sugar. Stir fry till sugar melts. Then turn off the flame.
- Next, mix in light soy sauce, cooking wine, water and a dash of ground white pepper. Stir till well combined and remove to cool.
- Then using the same wok, add in another 1 tbsp cooking oil and fry the remaining half of the chopped garlic till brown and crispy. Remove from the hot wok into a bowl to be use for garnishing the steamed prawns later.
- Place soaked glass noodles on a heat proof deep and wide dish plate.
- Then arrange nicely the prawns (butterfly) on top of the glass noodles.
- Open up the middle of each prawn and spoon garlic sauce onto the prawn. And we are ready to steam the prawns.
- Prepare steamer by bringing water to a rapid boil.
- Place the prawns with the glass noodle in the steamer and steam for about 5 – 8 minutes over high heat.
- Then garnish with the fried crispy garlic on the top and sprinkle with the freshly diced spring onion. Serve immediately and Enjoy!