Amazing Huat Kueh Recipe. Purple Sweet Potato Steamed Cake: Soft, Spongy and So Delicious.
These lovely Purple Sweet Potato Steamed Cake are literally prosperity cakes or better known as Huat Kueh or Apam Kukus, with striking purple hues from the purple sweet potato. Yes, these steamed cakes look so good and taste even better in purple! These cakes are soft, dense and spongy in texture. The best part is biting into the small bits of mashed sweet potatoes in this purple sweet potato steamed cake which have a rich, almost winey flavour with a creamy texture.
Beautiful Steamed Cakes With Signature Split Open Top
Another characteristic of this lovely steamed cake is the cake has a split open top. When steamed, these Purple Sweet Potato Steamed Cakes rise and crack beautifully on the top, making them look so fluffy, soft and light. Cracking also signifies joy, happiness and prosperity. Hence, these steamed cakes can also be served for any happy occasions such as Chinese New Year or birthday celebrations.
Easy To Make With Simple Ingredients
Purple Sweet Potato Steamed Cake is extremely easy to make using simple ingredients as well. To start with, make sure you have in hand the purple sweet potatoes. Otherwise the steamed cakes will not come out purple in colour. First, prepare the purple sweet potato paste. To do this, steam the sweet potatoes till cooked and mashed into a paste while it’s still hot. Then prepare the cake batter.
This is done by first mixing together the dry ingredients namely the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Then add in the wet ingredients, namely the coconut milk or milk, water and vegetable oil. Stir till a smooth batter is formed. When done, divide the batter into two portions and mix mashed potato paste into one of them. Leave aside to proof for 1 hour.
Huat Kueh Success: The Key To Crackling Top
When about to steam the cakes, prepare the steamer ahead of time by bringing the water in the steamer to a rapid boil. Once the dough has risen, remove the cling wrap and give the batter a good stir before spooning the batter into the lined steaming cups. Then quickly put into the steamer to steam over high heat. And we’re done!
These Steamed Cakes Make A Great Snack Anytime
These Purple Sweet Potato Steamed Cakes are lightly sweetened yet it’s packed with great flavour from the coconut milk or fresh milk and unique purple sweet potato aroma. It’s gorgeous looking and they make yummy snack or dessert anytime of the day. So Enjoy!
Purple Sweet Potato Steamed Cake (Huat Kueh) 紫薯蒸发糕
- 120 grams all-purpose flour, sieved
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 80 grams sugar
- 1/4 tsp yeast
- 80 grams fresh milk, can also use coconut milk
- 80 grams water
- 25 grams vegetable oil
- 50 grams purple sweet potato, steamed and mashed
- Cut purple sweet potato into small pieces.
- Bring water to a boil and steam the purple sweet potato for 20 mins till cooked.
- Mash into a paste and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in sieved flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Mix everything together.
- Then add milk, water and vegetable oil.
- Stir well till you get a smooth batter.
- Set aside 100g batter.
- Add in 50g mashed purple sweet potato and mix well.
- Cover both batter with cling wrap and set aside to proof for 1 hour.
- To steam the cake, first prepare steamer by bringing water to a rapid boil.
- Place steaming cups into a steamer and line with paper liners. (Diameter: 7.5cm)
- Using an ice-cream scoop, first spoon original batter followed by the purple sweet potato batter into each of the prepared steaming cups.
- Smoothen the top with a spatula. And we are ready to steam the purple sweet potato cakes.
- Place the steaming cups into the prepared steamer and steam over high heat for 15 minutes.
- Then remove steamed cakes and allow to cool on wire rack.
- The purple sweet potato steamed cakes are ready to be served. So Enjoy!
Steam Purple Sweet Potato Cake:
- Be sure the mash the steamed purple sweet potatoes while it’s still hot.
- After the batter has risen, you need to still the batter to mix it well before spooning into the lined steaming cups.
- To make sure the cake has a beautiful crack on the top, you need to fill the batter to full or almost full. Also, make sure the steamer is hot and ready before you fill the lined steaming cups so you can steam immediately. Do not leave the batter in the steaming cups to wait for the steamer to be ready.
- Do not open the cover of the steamer during steaming. Otherwise the cakes may not rise.
- Use high heat when steaming.
- These steamed cakes can be kept frozen as well. Simply remove from freezer the night before and steam for 15 minutes and they will be soft and fluffy again.