An Absolutely Delicious Way To Cook Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd, also known as bitter melon may not be commonly used in Western cuisine but it is very popular in Asian cuisines especially for its health benefits. Bitter gourd is a good source of several vitamins and is known to help lower blood sugar levels. It is also diet friendly as it is very low in fat. As this gourd is an acquired taste, it is seldom eaten by itself. Instead it is always added in soups, stews, stir-fry dishes and healthy juice drinks.
A Restaurant Style Gourmet Vegetable Dish To Try
Bitter Gourd with Salted Egg Yolk is a comfort dish that is extremely easy to cook and so delicious in taste. It is a simple recipe using only two main ingredients, namely bitter gourd and salted egg yolk and only 2 basic steps, namely preparing the bitter gourd and stir frying with mashed salted egg yolk. The fragrance from the salted egg yolk not just masks the bitter taste of the bitter gourd, it certainly takes this bitter gourd dish to the next level. Simply irresistible!
Definitely A Must Try For Bitter Gourd And Salted Egg Yolk Lovers
Start by cutting the bitter gourd lengthwise in half. Then slice thinly to pieces. Next stir fry the slices of bitter gourd with some chicken stock granules for just over 2 minutes for added flavour and removed from the wok. In the same wok with some oil, sauté chopped garlic and spring onion till fragrant. Add in the mashed salted egg yolks and fry till aromatic and till lots of bubbles appear. Add in seasoning, water and the stir fried bitter gourd. Mix well and cook till the sauce dries up and the flavour developed. And we’re done!
Dish up and serve hot with steamed rice or piping hot porridge and Enjoy!
Bitter Gourd With Salted Egg Yolk 咸蛋黄炒苦瓜
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 bitter gourd, 400g
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk spring onion, cut into 2 cm in length
- 2 salted eggs, separate egg yolks, steamed and mashed
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper, dash of pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 50 ml water
- First have ready all ingredients needed to cook the dish.
- Also, prepare the seasonings needed.
- Start by cutting the bitter gourd into half. Using a spoon, remove the soft, spongy whitish pith filled with seeds. Then slice thinly at an angle and add in with 1 tsp salt.
- Rub the bitter gourd with salt and leave aside for five to six minutes. Then rinse with water to rid off the bitter taste. Wash a few times to remove residual salt. Then drain and set aside.
- Clean and separate egg yolks from egg whites fro salted egg and steam the egg yolks for 7 to 8 minutes till cooked.
- Then mashed the cooked salted egg yolks and set aside.
- Chopped garlic and cut spring onion into 2 cm length. And we are ready to fry the bitter gourd.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add in the bitter gourd and chicken stock granules. Stir fry for about 2 minutes. Then remove from wok.
- Heat up the remaining 2 tbsp oil and saute chopped garlic and spring onion till fragrant. Add the mashed salted egg yolk and continue to stir fry till aromatic. Add in the ground white pepper, sugar and water. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Add in the bitter gourd and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium heat till the sauce dries up, flavour developed and bitter gourd is soft.
- Dish up and serve hot.
- Best served with a steamed white rice. So Enjoy!