A Delicious Way To Cook French Beans: Stir Fry French Beans with Preserved Radish 甜菜脯炒四季豆
French Bean With Preserved Radish is a dish comprising of french beans, dried prawns, preserved radish and minced meat. This combination gives this dish a delicious blend of sweet and savoury flavours. Apart from the french beans, the star for this dish is the sweet preserved radish, which is a turnip that has been salted and sweetened to preserve like a pickle. When fried, the preserved radish adds a distinctive crunch and umami flavour to the dish. Normally in hawker’s stalls, the French beans are deep fried in hot oil for a little while before cooking. This step can be omitted when we are cooking it at home, for a healthier version of the dish.
An Easy Way To Enjoy Fresh Crispy French Beans
To cook this dish, start by heating up oil in wok and sauté the chopped garlic, fermented bean paste, preserved radish and dried prawns till aromatic. Then add in minced meat and stir fry till cooked and the meat pieces is well separated, so that they will randomly scatter in between the beans after mixing both together in the later stage. Add in the french beans, chopped chilli and seasoning. Stir fry on high heat till cooked and well mixed. Transfer to a plate and serve hot with steaming hot rice.
Amazing Umami Flavours From Preserved Radish In This Stir Fry Veggie Dish
The umami flavour of this dish which comes from the sweet preserved radish and dried prawns makes this mouth-watering crunchy French bean dish simply irresistible. This French Bean with Preserved Radish dish does make such a good accompaniment to a bowl of steaming hot rice. In fact, it can also be served as a one complete meal as there are vegetables and meat in one dish.
French Bean With Preserved Radish 菜脯炒四季豆
- 250 grams french beans, cut into 5 cm length
- 100 grams minced meat
- 2 tbsp preserved radish, can be sweet/salted, soaked, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried prawns, soaked, chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp fermented beancurd, chopped
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup water
Marinade for minced meat:
- 1 tsp light soy sauce.
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- First, marinade minced meat with light soy sauce and cornflour. Set aside while we prepare the other ingredients.
- Rinse and soak dried prawns and preserved radish for about 10 ton 15 minutes.
- Then drain well the preserved radish, chop the drained dried prawns, chop garlic and dice red chillies.
- Next, wash and cut french beans into 5cm length and set aside. Then prepare the seasonings for the dish.
- Combine light soy sauce, sugar, ground white pepper and water in a bowl. Stir to mix well. And we are ready to stir fry the french beans.
- First, heat up cooking oil. Then saute chopped garlic, chopped preserved radish and dried prawns till fragrant.
- Add in fermented bean paste and stir fry to mix well. Then add in minced meat and continue to stir fry till meat is cooked and is separated into meat piece.
- Add in french beans and stir fry till the french beans are cooked through. Then add diced chillies and pour in the seasoning mixture. Sitr fry on high heat till cooked and well mixed.
- Dish up and served with steaming hot rice.
Stir fry French Beans:
- Choose young and fresh french beans as they are more tender and less fibrous.
- To make sure the french beans used are fresh, try breaking the French bean and it should snap. If it bends limply like a rubber band, then it isn’t fresh.
- Make sure that the french beans are thoroughly cooked through. Otherwise the flavour will not get into the beans.
- Just use a little cornflour to marinate the pork as it will cause the minced meat to stick to together while frying. For this dish we want the meat be separated into small pieces so they will be randomly mixed in between the French beans.