Bitter Gourd Omelette 苦瓜煎蛋: A Fluffy Chinese Style Omelette, Crispy On The Sides
Bitter Fourd Omelette is a classic Chinese comfort dish which is easy to prepare and so delicious in taste. Tender fried bitter gourd in a crispy egg omelette is such a perfect match. This fluffy omelette is tender and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the sides. Another favourite style of eating bitter gourd indeed.
Some Tips To Reduce Bitter Taste From Bitter Gourds
If you prefer a less bitter taste, try choosing a bitter gourd that is big and has broad lines on the surface. After slicing into thin pieces, rub with some salt and rinse with water to get rid of the bitter taste. This is one of the popular ways to remove bitter taste from bitter gourds. For many of us, enjoying bitter gourd is more of an acquired taste. After you have tasted the initial burst of bitterness, you will realised there is sweetness in it as well.
Making This Chinese Style Bitter Gourd Omelette Is So Easy
To make Bitter Gourd Omelette, first slice bitter gourd into thin pieces. Lightly rub with salt and rinse to remove the bitter taste of the bitter gourd. In another mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs and seasonings till well combined. Lightly stir fry bitter gourd with chopped garlic and a dash of salt till slightly translucent. Then place into the egg mixture and combine together.
The Secret To Perfectly Cooked Chinese Style Egg Omelette
To make the omelette, first heat up oil in pan. When oil is hot enough, pour the egg mixture into pan, making sure the bitter gourd slice is well spaced around the omelette. Do not press down omelette as it cooks. Flip over once the underside has set firmly enough and let omelette cook through. Put on serving plate and garnished. And we are done!
A Savoury Omelette That Is Certainly Appetizing
This Bittergourd Omelette tastes so good. Slightly brown, crispy on the edges, fragrant, savoury with a little taste of bitterness. Best enjoyed with a bowl of rice or a bowl of porridge. Yes, having this chinese style omelette with a bowl of piping hot porridge is indeed delicious and comforting too. So Enjoy!
Bitter Gourd Omelette 苦瓜煎蛋
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 150 grams bitter gourd, sliced thinly
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- ½ tsp light soy sauce
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper, dash of ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp chicken stock granules
- 2 tbsp cooking oil, frying omelette
- First cut bitter gourd into half. Using a spoon, remove the soft, spongy whitish pith filled with seeds. Then slice thinly at an angle and rub with 1 tsp salt. Leave aside for five to six minutes.
- Wash a few times to remove residual salt. Then drain and set aside.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, break in the eggs. Add light soy sauce, dash of chicken stock granules and ground white pepper. Lightly beat with a fork or whisk, until the eggs and seasonings are well combined. Set aside.
- Then heat up 1 tsp oil and saute chopped garlic till fragrant. Add in the sliced bitter gourd and stir fry to mix well. Add in just a dash of salt and continue to stir fry until soft.
- Dish up and add into the egg mixture. Mix well to combine everything together and we are ready to fry the omelette.
- First heat up 2 tbsp cooking oil. Pour in the combined bitter gourd and egg mixture. Make sure the bitter gourd is evenly distributed and the egg mixture covers the edge and centre of omelette evenly.
- Once the edges of the omelette start to set, reduce to medium heat. Do not press down the omelette as it cooks.
- Once the underside of the omelette has set firmly enough, flip over and let omelette cook through. Pan fry the omelette until set.
- Flip over again briefly.
- Turn out onto a serving plate and garnish with some chopped garlic.
- Serve immediately with steaming rice or porridge and Enjoy!