Traditional Steamed Egg Recipe with Fragrant Preserved Radish And Minced Meat Topping
Steamed Egg with Preserved Radish is a simple steamed egg dish topped with fried preserved radish and minced meat. This recipe’s specialty calls for chinese sweet-salty preserved radish (daikon) otherwise known as “Chai Poh 菜脯”. It is a turnip that has been salted and sweetened heavily to preserve like a pickle. It adds a distinctive crunch and savoury yet sweetish flavour to any dish.
This recipe is a savory sweet twist to the traditional Chinese Steamed Eggs 蒸水蛋 (https://www.huangkitchen.com/chinese-steamed-egg/)
A Combination of Sweet and Salty Preserved Radish For A Sweet-Salty Kick
I have used a combination of sweet and salty preserved radish, but using just sweet preserved radish is equally tasty as well. Its sweet and salty flavour perfectly complement the super smooth and fresh taste of the steamed egg custard. The preserved radish when fried gives such a wonderful sweet-salty kick to the mild flavoured egg custard.
Perfect Match with A Bowl Of Hot Steamed Rice
Just be sure to steam the egg custard until just firm so that the texture of the eggs is still smooth and silky. Also, make sure to fry the preserved sweet and salty radish with minced meat till super fragrant. When topped on the egg custard and eaten together, they will be a perfect match and you will definitely not stop with just one mouthful.
As Always, Enjoy!
Steamed Egg With Preserved Radish 菜脯蒸蛋
- 5 eggs, 1 bowl
- 1 bowl warm water, same quantity as eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 pips garlic, chopped
- 20 grams sweet preserved radish, rinsed, dry and chopped
- 10 grams salty preserved radish, rinsed, dry and chopped
- 100 grams meat, minced, mixed with little cornflour
- 2 tbsp oil, vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster Sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 stalk spring onion, diced
- Break 5 eggs in one bowl and an equivalent amount of warm water in another bowl
- Place eggs into a measuring cup. Then add a pinch of salt.
- Add in the measured warm water and beat to mix well.
- Then using a sieve, strain the egg custard mixture into a deep and wide plate.
- Cover the strained egg custard with cling wrap.
- Place the egg custard into a wok with boiling water.
- Steam the egg custard over LOW heat for 10-15 minutes or until set.
- When done, remove the cling wrap and prepare to add fried toppings.
- While waiting for the steamed egg to cook, prepare the topping. First, chop garlic and set aside.
- Also, dice some spring onion for garnishing.
- Rinse sweet and salty radish. Then drain and squeeze dry.
- Mince some meat and mix well with a little cornflour and we are ready to fry the preserved radish topping.
- Heat a wok with 2 spoons of oil. Saute chopped garlic and the sweet and salty radish.
- Next add in the minced meat and fry till meat is just cooked.
- Then add in chicken stock granules, soy sauce, oyster sauce and dark soy sauce for colour.
- Lastly add some cornflour mixture to the fried mixture. Fry till dry.
- When done, transfer into a bowl and we are ready to add the topping.
- Sprinkle the aromatic radish toppings on the surface of the steamed egg custard and lastly garnish with chopped spring onions and dice chillies before serving. Serve hot and Enjoy!