A Chinese Stir Fry Restaurant Favourite: Fried Onion Ring Chicken 炸洋葱鸡 (Yong Chong Gai)
This quick and easy Deep Fried Onion Ring Chicken dish makes an awesome crunchy fried chicken dish, coupled with crispy onion rings drizzled over with a special sweet and sour sauce. It is a very simple yet flavourful dish to whip up anytime for lunch or dinner at home.
In this recipe, I have used store bought frozen fried chicken (packet form) for the convenience of those who have limited time cooking. You can also choose to make this dish with fresh chicken as well.
Served With Crispy Homemade Onion Rings, Simply Delicious
The star of this dish is obviously the Crispy Onion Rings. These fried onion rings taste so flavourful and good. They are soft and sweet on the inside and crispy on the outside and has such a good flavour. They are also very addictive so be sure to fry more, otherwise you may be disappointed when there is not enough for everyone to share.
Drizzled With A Special Home Style Sweet and Sour Sauce; More Rice, Please
Also, not forgetting another important component for this dish is the special home style sweet and sour sauce. Without it, this deep fried onion ring chicken dish will never be complete. A tinge of curry powder added makes a world of difference to this otherwise simple sauce. The curry powder has a unique flavour due to the combination of both savoury and sweet spices in it. It gives the sauce a deep earthy flavour as well as add brightness to it.
You will surely love the tangy flavour of this sweet and sour sauce. It can be made as spicy or mild as you like. Either way, it tastes just as great.
Onion Ring Chicken: A Simple Dish, But Undoubtedly A Great One
Truly an extremely easy dish to put together and surprisingly tasty too. Looks so good when cooked and tastes even better when eaten. So Enjoy!
Deep Fried Onion Ring Chicken 洋葱鸡
- 6 pieces chicken, Store bought crispy fried chicken
- 1 big onion, cut into thick rings
Coating for Onion Rings:
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1 egg white, egg at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp meat curry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp distilled vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- First, place 6 pieces of store bought crispy fried chicken into fryer. Air fried at 180 degree C for 15 mins. Can otherwise deep fry in hot oil on medium heat.
- Remove from fryer and place on kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- Then place the chicken on a serving plate and set aside while we prepare the onion rings.
- First, remove skin from onion and cut into thick slices. Then separate the slices into thick rings.
- Then, separate egg white from yolk and place in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mixed well.
- Next, place cornflour on a wide plate to coat onion rings. And we are ready to coat the onion rings.
- To coat onion rings, first dip the cut onion ring in egg white.
- Then dust and roll with cornflour to coat the onion rings.
- Continue to dip in egg white and coat in cornflour. And we are ready to deep fry the onion rings.
- Heat oil in wok or pan on medium heat. When oil is ready, deep fry the coated onions in the hot oil until golden brown and crispy. Fry in batches till all are done.
- Dish up and arrange the crispy golden brown onion rings on top of the fried chicken. Set aside while we make the perfect sauce for it.
- First, have ready all the sauce ingredients.
- Put all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mixed well.
- Next, heat up 1 tbsp oil in pan. Pour in sauce ingredients and cook until thick and bubbling.
- Then immediately pour the piping hot sauce over the crispy fried onion rings and chicken.
- Serve hot to enjoy the crunchiness of the onion rings. So Enjoy!