A Classic Chinese Style Egg Omelette: Preserved Radish Omelette, Chai Poh Neng (煎菜脯蛋)
This Chinese-style Preserved Radish Omelette is another humble dish that most Chinese families are familiar with. This is a very easy dish that uses only a few ingredients, namely eggs, preserved radish, some minced meat and garlic. Also locally known as “Chai Po Neng”, it is a favourite childhood comfort food especially so for the Teochew families. This nostalgic chinese style egg omelette is certainly a dish that brings back sweet memories and rekindles old taste.
Goes Perfectly with A Bowl of Hot Porridge, Teochew Porridge Style
This egg omelette dish pairs extremely well with hot white porridge as the star of the dish, the preserved radish can be rather salty. The porridge balances out the saltiness making the omelette tastes just right and fragrant. This simple preserved radish omelette makes a scrumptious side dish in Chinese restaurants serving Teochew porridge. Yes, its the ultimate dish to go with any plain porridge meal anytime of the day.
Preserved Radish Omelette (Cai Poh Neng) 菜脯蛋
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 120 grams preserved radish, chai poh, salted and minced
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams meat, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules
- 2 tbsp oil
- Have ready the ingredients which are eggs, preserved radish, minced meat and chopped garlic.
- Rinse preserved radish in running water. Then leave to soak in water for about 15 minutes. Next, drain the soaked radish through a sieve and squeeze dry before use.
- Break three eggs in a bowl. Whisk evenly using a pair of chopsticks until the eggs turn pale, light and with bubbles. Next, mince the meat and chop the garlic. And we're ready to fry the omelette.
- First, saute chopped garlic in a wok with 1 tbsp of hot oil. Then add in preserved radish, minced meat and seasoning. Stir fry over medium low heat till the preserved radish is dry and fragrant.
- Add the fried preserved radish mixture into the beaten eggs and mix well. Then heat up wok with 1 tbsp oil. When wok is very hot, pour in the egg mixture and pan fry over medium high heat till aromatic. Then flip over and fry till both sides are golden brown. And we're done!
- Dish out on serving plate and serve the fried egg omelette with a bowl of hot plain porridge. As always, Enjoy!