A Popular Chinese Stir Fry Vegetable Dish You Can Make At Home: Stir Fry Bean Sprout With Salted Fish
Stir Fry Bean Sprout With Salted Fish is a quick and easy classic Chinese dish in many Chinese households. The pairing of bean sprout and salted fish in this Chinese dish is such a perfect match. Addition of salted fish not only enhances the taste but gives this simple vegetable dish such an authentic flavour.
You can also enjoy this vegetable dish with just stir fried bean sprouts and salted fish. But for a more appealing look and healthier dish, you can add in coloured capsicums, carrot and spring onion into the mix. The sweet tasting capsicum and carrot add an additional nice crunch thus elevating the overall flavour of the dish. A must try dish indeed!
An Easy and Delicious Way To Cook Bean Sprouts (Taugeh 豆芽 / 芽菜)
To cook this dish, you need to first clean the bean sprouts also known as mung bean sprouts. Start by plucking off the roots of the bean sprouts. Once done with the plucking off the roots, rinse the bean sprouts a few times under running water. This helps to remove the green shell beans and contamination of the bean sprouts. Then julienned the carrot, green and red capsicum, chop spring onion and mince some garlic. Then deep fry salted fish till golden brown and cut into small bite size. Prepare the seasonings for the dish and we are ready to stir fry the bean sprouts.
Crunchy and Juice Bean Sprouts with Fragrant Salted Fish
To stir fry the bean sprouts, heat up till hot the oil used to deep fry the salted fish earlier. Saute mince garlic till fragrant. Then add in the julienned green and red capsicums and carrot. Fry till slightly softened. Then add in the cleaned bean sprouts. Briefly fry till just softened. Be careful not to over fry, otherwise the bean sprouts will not be crunchy. Next add in seasonings. Toss vigorously to mix all and then add in the chopped spring onions and fried bits of salted fish. Toss quickly and remove to serving plate. Garnish with more bites of salted fish and serve immediately. And we are done!
The Key To Retain Crispiness Of Bean Sprouts
This stir fry bean sprouts dish is super easy to cook and is extremely delicious. One key point, in order to retain the crispiness of the bean sprouts, you need to fry them on highest possible heat and quick without overcooking. When done right, the bean sprouts taste crunchy, juicy and sweet.
The small bites of salted fish toss in certainly enhance the overall taste. It adds more flavour besides making it so appetising too. This Stir Fry Bean Sprouts With Salted Fish dish can be served on its own with rice or served as an accompaniment or side dish with other dishes, one example is Hainanese Chicken Rice. Enjoy!
Stir Fry Bean Sprout With Salted Fish 咸鱼炒豆芽
- 300 grams bean sprout, trimmed
- 20 grams dried salted fish, 3 tbsp
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 grams green bell pepper, julienned (1/4 bell pepper)
- 20 grams red bell pepper, julienned (1/4 bell pepper)
- 1/2 carrot, julienned
- 1 stalk spring onion, cut into 1 inch length
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules
- 1 tsp shaoxing wine
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Have ready all ingredients to cook the dish.
- First, clean the bean sprouts by first removing the roots. Then soak and rinse a few time over running water to clean and remove all green bean shells from the bean sprouts. Then set aside to drain in a colander.
- Next, julienned green and red capsicums, carrot and chop spring onions.
- Then set aside on a plate.
- Also chop some garlic and set aside.
- Then pan fry salted fish. Heat up oil in wok over medium heat until hot. When oil is hot, add salted fish and fry until salted fish turns light golden brown in colour and crispy. Dish out, leaving the oil in the wok. Cut the fried salted fish into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Lastly, prepare seasonings for the stir fry bean sprouts.
- Using the same oil, heat up oil till hot. Then saute chopped garlic till fragrant. Add the julienned green and red capsicum and stir fry till slightly softened, about one minute. Next, add in the trimmed bean sprouts and julienned carrot. Continue to stir fry and toss until well mixed and the bean sprouts just softened, about 30 seconds.
- Add in chicken stock granules, ground white pepper and shaoxing wine and continue to stir fry and toss the bean sprout mixture vigorously.
- Lastly add in chopped spring onions and half of the fried salted fish. Toss quickly to mix well.
- Quickly dish up onto a serving plate and sprinkle balance of the fried salted fish on top. Serve immediately with steamed rice. Goes well with porridge too. So Enjoy!
Stir Fry Bean Sprouts With Salted Fish:
- Do not fry the bean sprouts for too long as it will lose its crunch if over-cooked
- It is best to remove the tails and beans of bean sprout before cooking it as it will be clean and looks more presentable.