A Delicious Stove Cooked Chicken Wings Recipe: Chinese Style Caramel Chicken Wings
These sweet and sticky Chinese Style Caramel Chicken Wings are absolutely delicious. They are unbelievably easy to make too. Yes, it is certainly much easier than you think! These chicken wings are cooked on the stove so they may not have the crispy skin like most chicken wing recipes. However the thickened caramel sauce adds a beautiful glossy glaze on the cooked chicken wings. It is the perfect addition to any party plate or a simple weeknight craving.
A Quick And Easy Chicken Wings Recipe With Minimal Ingredients
To make this, first cut the chicken wings into smaller parts. Discard the wing tips. Put the drumettes and wingettes into a mixing bowl. Marinate for 30 minutes with minced garlic, ginger, light soy sauce, salt and chinese cooking wine. Then prepare the caramel syrup by melting some rock sugar in cooking oil. Stir till it turns golden brown. Then incorporate with some water and set aside.
Next pan fry the cut chicken wings till golden in colour. Add in the caramel syrup and dried bay leaves. Cover and allow to simmer till liquid is almost dried up. And we are done! Transfer onto serving plate and garnish with chopped spring onions, toasted sesame seeds and red chillies. Great on its own and good with steamed rice too.
Asian Style Caramel Chicken Wings Recipe That Is Certainly A Crowd Pleaser
These Chinese style Caramel Chicken Wings taste real good as it is marinated with minced garlic, ginger and light soy sauce, which is a favourite Asian flavour combinations. Adding a few bay leaves into the simmer, gives it a more palatable flavour. Serve alongside other party food or just simply with hot steamed rice, these sweet and sticky caramel chicken wings are really hard to resist. They are simply delicious and finger licking.
Chinese Style Caramel Chicken Wings 中式焦糖鸡翅膀
- 5 chicken wings, Cut into drummet and wingette (middle wings)
- 50 grams rock sugar, 2 tbsp rock sugar
- 250 ml water
- 3 pieces bay leaves
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
Marinade (Chicken Wings):
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 grams ginger, grate
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine, chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- Have ready the ingredients needed to cook the dish.
- First cut chicken wings into 3 parts, the middle wingette, the meatiest drumette and the wing tips. Put the wingette and drumette into a mixing bowl and set aside the wing tips for other use.
- Then prepare ingredients and seasonings to marinade the cut chicken wings.
- Peel skin off ginger and chop some garlic. Also dice spring onions and set aside for garnishing. We can start to marinade the chicken wings.
- To marinade the chicken wings, add in the minced garlic and grate in the peeled ginger. Then add in the salt, soya sauce and shaoxing wine.
- Stir to mix everything together. Cover with cling wrap and leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes. And we are ready to cook the chicken wings.
- First heat up wok with 2 tbsp cooking oil. Then add in the rock sugar. Stir till rock sugar melts and turns golden brown and caramelize. Slowly add in water. Stir well to incorporate the liquid.
- Then remove from wok and pour the caramel syrup into a bowl or cup.
- Using the same wok, heat up a little oil. Arrange the marinated chicken wings on the wok (in a single layer). Using low heat, pan fry the chicken wings till golden on both sides. Then add in bay leaves, the remainder of the marinade and the caramel syrup. Bring the caramel syrup to a boil.
- Cover and using low heat, simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes making sure to flip the chicken wings so they are evenly cooked and starts to darken.
- Simmer till the liquid syrup is much reduced. Then uncover and continue to stir till the syrup is almost dried up and form a sticky glaze on the chicken wings. And we are done!
- Serve warm on plate over a bed of fresh green lettuce, garnished with chopped spring onions, toasted white sesame seeds and slices of red chilies. Enjoy on its own or with a bowl of hot steamed rice.