Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 2 cups sugar, , 440g
- 1 cup vegetable oil, , 250ml
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup water, , 160ml
- 15 oz fresh mashed pumpkin, , 420g
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger, , 4g
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, , 2g
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, , 1g
- ⅛ teaspoon ground clove, , 1/4g
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour, , 440g
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda, , 6g
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, , 9g
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, , 2g
- ⅓ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped, 60g
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, finely chopped, 20g
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened, 225g
- ¼ cup butter, softened, 55g
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted, 125g
- ½ tsp vanilla extract, , 3ml
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F (170 degree C). Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners. Also lightly grease two 6x3 inch loaf pans. ( I am using both).
- Into a large bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil and 4 eggs. Using a wire whisk, mix the ingredients together until smooth. Alternatively, use an electric mixer to mix on medium speed.
- Add the water and continue to mix until well blended. Then stir in the mashed pumpkin.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and baking powder. Then fold in the chopped walnuts and chopped candied ginger. Add this flour mixture to the wet pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Do not over mix.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, spoon batter into the 12 muffin cups. Divide the balance of the batter between the 2 prepared loaf pans. Alternatively, you can make either all gingerbread muffins (24 muffins) or all ginger bread. If only making ginger bread, then use two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Bake the gingerbread muffins in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes and a toothpick inserted in the middle of muffin comes out clean. As for the loaf pans, bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 hour and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool the muffin and loaf pans on wire rack, about 5 minutes. Then transfer the pumpkin gingerbread muffins to cooling rack to cool completely. Also turn the gingerbread loaf from the pans to cool completely on wire rack. The gingerbread's flavour will improve with time.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, cream together the softened cream cheese and butter. Mix in vanilla. Then gradually stir in icing sugar. Store in refrigerator after use.
9x5 inch loaf pan: bake 325F (170C) for 1hr 15 mins.
Mini loaf pan: bake 325F (170C) for 50 mins.
Muffin pan: bake 325F(170C) for 25 mins.
To make pumpkin gingerbread muffins:
Let’s start by preheating oven to 170 degree C (325 degree F)
Line muffin pans with muffin liners and lightly greased two 6×3 inch loaf pans. (I am using both).
In a large mixing bowl, add in the sugar.
Then add the vegetable oil.
Followed by 4 eggs.
Using a wire whisk, beat the ingredients until smooth.
Then add 2/3 cup water and continue to beat until well blended.
Next add in the fresh mashed pumpkin.
Stir until the pumpkin is well mixed into the batter.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder,soda,salt and spices.
Then fold in the chopped walnuts and candied ginger. Be sure to mix well.
Add the dry flour mixture into the wet pumpkin batter.
Blend the pumpkin batter and the flour mixture until JUST combined. Do not overmix.
Spoon the pumpkin batter into muffin pan and divide the balance into the two prepared loaf pans.
Bake the gingerbread muffins in preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
Bake the gingerbread in loaf pan in preheated oven until golden brown, about 50 minutes.
Cool the muffin and loaf pans on wire rack, about 5 minutes.
Then transfer the pumpkin gingerbread muffins and gingerbread loaves to cool completely on wire rack.
And you’re done! Serve these freshly baked, warm and if you really want to be indulgent, with a little cream cheese frosting.
The sweetness of the cream cheese glaze pairs perfectly with the spicy gingerbread and make a great morning treat during the holiday and christmas seasons.
These incredibly moist, spicy and sticky sweet gingerbread taste so delicious even on their own.
This is definitely everyone’s holiday favourite and they taste of Christmas too!
SO ENJOY & MERRY CHRISTMAS!