This is a vegetarian Homemade Mincemeat recipe. Mincemeat is made using a variety of fresh and dried fruits, simmered in a mixture which has been preserved in alcohol and laced with spices. It is traditionally served around Christmas, most often baked into pies. It is so easy to make, once you have tasted this rich, sweet flavoured preserved you may never buy store bought mincemeat anymore.
- 4 tablespoons (55g) butter
- 2/3 cup (140g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) unsweetened apple juice
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 1/2 cup (90g) sultanas
- 1 cup (180g) golden raisins
- 1/2 cup (70g) dried currants
- 1/2 cup (75g) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (160g) candied mixed peel
- Zest and juice of 1 orange or lemon
- 1/3 cup (80ml) rum, dark or white
- 1/3 cup (80ml) red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rum
- First place butter into a large pot.
- Then add brown sugar followed by unsweetened apple juice.
- Next add all the spices namely nutmeg, ground clove, ground ginger and salt.
- Peel, core and grate 2 large apples.
- Then add juice and zest from one orange or lemon. (You can also add both).
- Last, add in all the dried fruits namely sultanas, golden raisins, dried currants, dried cranberries, red cherries and mixed peel.
- Lastly add rum and red wine. You can also add brandy. Adjust according to taste. The alcohol acts as preservative so the mincemeat can be kept longer. There won’t be much alcohol left in the mincemeat as we will be cooking the mincemeat so the alcohol will evaporate and what will be left is just the flavour.
- Using medium high heat, bring all the ingredients to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the mincemeat, stirring often for about 30 to 45 minutes until the liquid is almost evaporated.
- Remove from heat and if desired, stir in another 3 tablespoons rum or brandy. The alcohol will be absorbed into the mincemeat. Let the mincemeat cool completely before transfer to a covered container and place in the refrigerator, at least overnight before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.
To make these homemade mincemeat:
Prepare all dried fruits needed for making mincemeat.
Other ingredients needed to make mincemeat.
First place butter into a large pot.
Then add brown sugar.
Next, add unsweetened apple juice.
Followed by all the spices and salt.
Add 2 shredded apples.
Add zest from one orange.
Also the orange juice from the orange.
Add in all the dried fruits.
Lastly add the rum.
And some red wine or brandy.
Stir all the ingredients until well mixed.
Using medium high heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer the mincemeat for about 30 to 45 minutes until the liquid is almost evaporated. Stir often.
And we’re done! Let mincemeat to cool completely.
If desired, stir in some more alcohol and let it cool completely.
Transfer to a covered container and place in the refrigerator, at least overnight before using.
Taste really nice on its own, over ice-cream or to make into mince pie for christmas.
SO ENJOY AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!