Stir Fried Fish With Bitter Gourd
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 350 g fresh whole fish, cut into big pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 200 g bitter gourd, sliced
- 50 ml hot water
- 20 g ginger, chopped
- 40 g shallot, chopped
- 1 big onion, cut into wedges
- 10 g fermented black bean, rinsed with water
- 10 g garlic, chopped
- 3 bird's eye chili, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon chinese cooking wine, optional
- Halve the bitter gourd lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Cut the bitter gourd into thin slices.
- Blanch the bitter gourd in hot water with salt added, about 2 minutes. (To remove bitterness ). Remove and set aside.
- Cut the fish into pieces, wash and drain well. Marinate the fish pieces with some salt and pepper. Coat the fish with cornflour.
- Heat up a wok with some oil. Fry the fish until slightly brown. Set aside.
- Heat up some oil in a saucepan or wok. Stir fry garlic, onions, shallot, fermented black bean and bird's eye chili until fragrant.
- Add the blanched bitter gourd and stir fry over high heat for about 2 minutes. Then add the seasonings. Stir everything together. Add in hot water using the same bowl for the seasoning. Stir fry evenly.
- Lastly put in the fried fish pieces. Toss the fish with the stir fried ingredients for about 1 minute. Serve warm with rice.
To stir fry fish with bitter gourd:
Clean fish, cut into pieces and season with some salt and white pepper.
Rinse bitter gourd and cut into thin slices.
Cut and chop onions, garlic, ginger and bird’s eye chilies. Rinse fermented black bean.
Prepare the seasonings for the dish.
Mix the seasonings well in a small bowl.
Boil some water in a pan and add some salt into it.
Blanch the bitter gourd in the boiling water, about 1 minute.
Remove and drained the blanched bitter gourd. Then set aside.
Coat the fish pieces with some cornflour.
Heat up oil in a wok.
Scald the fish pieces in the hot oil.
Remove the fried fish from the oil and drained.
Heat up some oil in the wok and saute minced garlic until fragrant.
Add chopped shallots.
Followed by chopped ginger.
Then add the chopped bird’s eye chilies and onions.
Lastly add the black fermented beans.
Stir fry all the ingredients until fragrant.
Then add the blanched bitter gourd and stir fry over high heat for about 2 minutes.
Add in the seasonings and stir until evenly spread.
Then add hot water using the same bowl for the seasonings.
Lastly put in the fried fish pieces and toss in the stir fried ingredients for about 1 minute.
And you’re done! Garnish with green onions and sliced red chillies. Serve warm with steamed rice.
SO … ENJOY!