Classic Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups Wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup Chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 190 degree C. Then grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, add the wheat bran along with the buttermilk.
- Stir the bran and the buttermilk together. Let the bran soaked in the buttermilk for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, pour in the vegetable oil. Add an egg and the brown sugar along with the vanilla extract.
- Beat the oil, egg, sugar and vanilla extract together.
- Add this mixture to the buttermilk mixture.
- In another bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Then add this flour mixture into the bran mixture. Stir together until just blended.
- Fold in the raisins and walnuts. Scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of muffins come out clean.
Full with texture of nutty bran, the top and edges are slightly chewy and crusty while the muffin is fluffy and moist.