There’s something incredibly comforting about a bran muffin. The flavour is somewhat wholesome: just sweet enough for a treat but not guilt-fully sweet.
Bran muffins are perfect for breakfast as the bran mixture can be kept unbaked in the refrigerator for up to one week. It’s so great that you can scoop up as much muffin mixture as you desire, bake them right away. And you’ll always have fresh, warm muffin when you want it!
Classic Bran Muffins
There’s something incredibly comforting about a bran muffin. The flavour is somewhat wholesome: just sweet enough to be a treat but not so sugary as to induce guilt after eating it. Bran muffin is perfect for breakfast as the bran mixture can be kept unbaked in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 ½ cups Wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup Chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 190 degree C. Then grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, add the wheat bran along with the buttermilk.
- Stir the bran and the buttermilk together. Let the bran soaked in the buttermilk for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, pour in the vegetable oil. Add an egg and the brown sugar along with the vanilla extract.
- Beat the oil, egg, sugar and vanilla extract together.
- Add this mixture to the buttermilk mixture.
- In another bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Then add this flour mixture into the bran mixture. Stir together until just blended.
- Fold in the raisins and walnuts. Scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of muffins come out clean.
Tried this recipe?Mention @HuangKitchen or tag #huangkitchen!
Please note that it’s preferred to make the bran batter a day in advance so the bran can soften and the batter thicken.
Cool the muffins before serving. Serve warm.
Full with texture of nutty bran, the top and edges are slightly chewy and crusty while the muffin is fluffy and moist.
Great healthy muffins indeed! Also a delicious source of fibre! Simply excellent as they weren’t
“typical” bran muffins because they were so amazingly moist and very tasty……………. So. Enjoy!