This recipe has a crisp crunchy crust and slightly chewy centre that makes this bread as traditional as the bread served in France.
French Bread with Garlic Herb Spread ( Boursen Cheese Spread )
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 ½ tablespoons instant yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil
- 2 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
Garlic Herb Spread (Boursen Cheese Spread):
- 113 g butter
- 226 g cream cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon Oregano, dried leaves
- ½ teaspoon Basil, dried leaves
- ½ teaspoon Chicken seasoning
- In a mixing bowl, combine yeast, warm water and sugar. Let it proof for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water, oil, salt and 3 cups of flour first. Mix until flour is incorporated.
- Then gradually add the remaining 3 cups of flour. Knead about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough onto a generously floured surface. Use a plastic scraper to help remove dough from mixing bowl.
- Knead the dough and shape into a ball. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Repeat this process of kneading and resting dough for 3 more times. Just punch the dough down and fold it over a few times, then gather it back into a ball. (I turn the dough out from mixer at 4.20pm, your last quick knead will be at 5.10pm and the dough will be ready to be shaped at 5.20pm).
- Next, shape dough into 4 equal loaves. Shape into rough rectangle shapes. Then roll it up and pinch it so it stays together. Place the pinched side down on a greased or lined cookie pan.
- Beat 1 egg white with a dash of water and brush the egg mixture over the loaf. Make sure it’s all covered as any unbrushed part will turn up pale. (Alternative: if you want a softer yet still deep golden crust, mix together 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk. Brush over entire loaf before baking.)
- Make 3 diagonal lines into the top of bread.
- Let it rise until double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in preheated oven at 190 degree C for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with Garlic Herb Spread.
- Let butter and cream cheese come to room temperature. Then stir all to combine.
Garlic Herb Spread ( Boursen Cheese Spread ):
It will be ideal if you also mixed your garlic herb spread while the bread is baking and rising in the oven………