This Spaghetti with Curry Meat Sauce (Malaysian Style Bolognese) is an easy recipe for delicious homemade pasta sauce with a local Malaysian twist. Spiced with curry paste and fresh curry leaves, this curry pasta sauce may just be your new favourite!
Watch How To Make Spaghetti With Curry Meat Sauce (Malaysian Style Bolognese)
Spaghetti with Curry Meat Sauce: A Malaysian Style Bolognese Pasta, Spaghetti A La Malaysia
How To Make Spaghetti with Curry Meat Sauce (Malaysian Style Bolognese Pasta)
How To Make Meat Pasta Sauce
How To Store The Curry Meat Pasta Sauce
How To Cook Spaghetti: Important Tips To Make Good Pasta
Some Ways To Use Curry Meat Pasta Sauce
Important Cooking Tips For This Spaghetti with Curry Meat Sauce Recipe
- Always cook the sauce before cooking the pasta. This is because as the pasta sits, it will keep absorbing any water around it and this will change the texture of the perfectly cooked pasta.
- Cut all the vegetables into small bite size before cooking. This will enable the vegetables to cook faster and stay tender.
- Simmer using low heat till the liquid has reduced and the meat sauce has thickened before adding in grated cheese.
- Before cooking the spaghetti, always check the suggested time required to cook the pasta on the box. Then while cooking, check on the spaghetti a minute early to see if its done yet. It is always a good idea to check the pasta early to prevent over done and is al dente.
- When cooking spaghetti, make sure the water should taste pretty salty. This adds flavour to the pasta and allows the pasta to cook better. Do not add oil to the water as this will prevent the meat sauce from sticking to the pasta when you eat it.
If you like this Spaghetti With Curry Meat Sauce (Malaysian Style Bolognese Pasta), you may also be interested in our other recipes for Salted Fish Pork Belly Pasta, Egg Noodles with Campbell Mushroom Soup, Spaghetti Aglio e Olio, Shanghai Zha Jiang Mian Noodles, or Wat Tan Hor (Flat Rice Noodles in Egg Gravy).
Still can’t get enough of pasta noodles recipes? Do check out our entire rice pasta noodles recipe collection.
Spaghetti With Curry Meat Sauce (Malaysian Style Bolognese Pasta) 咖喱肉酱意大利面
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 400 grams spaghetti, cooked till al dente, 12 minutes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, 57 grams
Curry Meat Sauce Ingredients:
- 150 grams butter
- 400 grams minced meat, minced pork/chicken/beef
- 1 litre water
- 1 tbsp chicken stock granules
- ½ tin button mushrooms, 10 pieces, slice into thin slices
- 2 sticks celery stem, dice
- 4 tomatoes, deseed, dice
- 2 carrot, dice
- 5 tbsp meat curry powder
- 5 tbsp water
- 3 stalks curry leaves
- 4 pips garlic, chopped
- 3 big onions, dice
- 50 gram tomato puree, ½ small tin
- 200 grams cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp ground pepper, to taste
- Have ready all ingredients needed to cook the meat sauce.
- Start by cutting all the vegetables into small pieces. Dice button mushrooms, carrots, celery and tomatoes.
- Then chop garlic, dice big onions and minced some meat.
- Next, prepare the curry paste by adding water into meat curry powder and stir into a paste. Then prepare chicken stock by dissolving chicken stock granules into the water. Otherwise you can just use water. And we are ready to cook the meat sauce.
- First, melt butter in a pan. Fry chopped garlic and big onions. Then add the curry leaves and meat curry powder. Fry until fragrant using medium heat.
- Then add in the meat, stir well. Cook for 10 minutes. Add tomato purée, chicken stock and all the diced vegetables. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes till all the vegetables become tender and the meat just cooked. Stir constantly throughout the process.
- Then stir in half the grated cheese. Add salt to taste. Stir to make sure the cheese fully melts and everything is well mixed. And we are done! Just before the sauce is cooked, prepare to cook the pasta.
- First have ready all ingredients needed.
- Boil half a saucepan of salted water over high heat. Add spaghetti and stir during the first few minutes of cooking to keep it from sticking together. Boil pasta for 1 minute less that what the package directions state.
- Test for doneness (al dente) and remove the cooked spaghetti from saucepan. Drain and stir in butter.
- Dish spaghetti onto serving plate. Spoon over hot sauce. Garnish with grated cheese and enjoy!
Preparing Meat Sauce Ingredients :
To Cook Curried Meat Sauce:
To Cook Spaghetti:
- Always cook the sauce first and just about done, then only cook the spaghetti. This is because as the pasta sits, it will keep absorbing any water around it and this will change the texture of the perfectly cooked pasta.
- Before cooking the pasta always check the suggested time required to cook the pasta on the box. Then while cooking, check on the spaghetti a minute early to make sure it isn’t done yet. It is always a good idea to check the pasta early to prevent over done and is al dente.
- When cooking spaghetti noodles make sure the water should taste pretty salty. This adds flavour to the pasta and helps the pasta to cook well. Do not add oil to the water as this will prevent the meat sauce from sticking to the pasta when you eat it.
- It’s important to dice and chop vegetables small as this will render the vegetables tender.
- Always toss the pasta sauce and the cooked spaghetti together before consuming. By doing so, the pasta will absorb some of the flavours in the sauce. Hence making it tastes better.
Editor’s Note: This recipe post was originally published on June 16, 2014. Recipe video, images and post content have been updated in July 2021.