A Classic Noodle Dish Everyone Loves: Wat Tan Hor 滑蛋河
Noodles are actually a fast food dish in Asia and are eaten on almost all occasions. They can be braised, deep-fried or stir-fried. They may be served as a complete meal or simply as a side dish. There are many varieties of noodles and they are cooked in combination with vegetables, meat and seafood. And this noodle dish, Wat Tan Hor is just one of the many popular noodle dish everyone loves.
Flat Rice Noodles in Delicious Rich Egg Gravy, Simply Irresistible!
Wat Tan Hor or flat noodles in egg gravy uses flat rice noodles called kuay teow, of which the fresh ones is available in all wet markets in Asia whereas the dried forms are readily sold in most Asian grocery stores. Wat Tan Hor is best cooked in a wok so we get to enjoy the “wok hei” which is a slightly seared smoky taste imparted on the noodles … a MUST have taste. Together with the lustrous eggy gravy over the wok fragrance flat noodles, this simple one dish meal is just simply irresistible.
As always, ENJOY!
Wat Tan Hor (Flat Rice Noodles in Egg Gravy) 滑蛋河
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 350 grams kuay teow, flat rice noodles, preferably fresh noodles
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 slices fishcake
- 10 slices chicken meat
- 8 fresh prawns, peeled
- 2 stalks greens, or any green vegetables
- 480 ml chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 60 ml water
- Start by cleaning some prawns. Peel shell off fresh medium size prawns.
- Then chop garlic, slice chicken meat and fishcake into thin slices. Next, cut green vegetables into long strips. And we're ready to fry the noodles.
- To fry, heat up 2 tbsp oil. Then add noodles, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce and 1 tbsp light soy sauce. Fry until the soy sauce is well mixed into the noodles and noodles is cooked. Then set aside and prepare to cook the egg gravy.
- Heat up 2 tbsp oil, and fry garlic until golden in colour. Add chicken, fishcake, prawns and fry till prawns turn pink. Then add chicken stock.
- Next season with 1 tsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, pinch of pepper, and add salt to season. Bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture, and simmer until mixture thickens.
- Add green vegetables and egg. Mix and stir vigorously to cook gravy until the egg is cooked.
- Pour gravy on fried noodles and serve immediately. So Enjoy!