Spaghetti aglio e olio is a traditional Italian classic pasta dish which means spaghetti with garlic and oil. If you love garlic, then you will love this dish. It is the simplest and most basic of all pasta dish consisting of spaghetti with only a few other ingredients. This is the kind of dish that makes you pause to think that the simplest foods are often the most wonderful as it’s so easy yet inexpensive to make. This whole dish takes only about 20 minutes to cook. True Italian ‘fast food’ indeed and a perfect one dish meal to cook up anytime for anyone. Also a perfect solution when you suddenly have guests coming over and you’ve nothing to serve. This dish is certain to be wowed when you cook them this delicious, flavourful and heartwarming meal. It’s absolutely my all time favourite comfort food too!
Spaghetti Aglio E Olio
- 500 grams spaghetti
- 4 - 6 litre water, 15 to 22 cups
- 2 tbsp salt
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- To cook spaghetti, first fill a large pot with water. Add a generous amount of salt into the water.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the spaghetti. Cook according to package instructions till al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Drain when " al dente". Put the cooked spaghetti into a casserole.
- At the meantime work on the sauce. Prepare the ingredients needed to make the sauce.
- In a pan add the olive oil (room temperature).
- Immediately add the sliced garlic. Make sure the oil and fresh garlic are added TOGETHER. This will ensure the garlic flavour to be infused into the oil.
- Turn on the heat to LOW. Cook the oil and garlic together.
- Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the garlic is lightly brown.
- Then add the hot pepper flakes, according to taste.
- Cook for another 3 minutes. Remove the oil mixture from the heat.
- Pour the garlic infused olive oil mixture into the hot and drained spaghetti.
- Add also some chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
- Toss everything together so that the garlic infused oil coats every strand of the spaghetti
- And you're done! Place the spaghetti on a serving plate and serve warm. It's flavourful and absolutely delicious. As always, ENJOY!