Fresh homemade hamburger buns Fresh homemade old fashion hot dog buns This recipe is very versatile. It can be used to make hamburger buns or hot dog buns. Homemade buns make hamburgers and hot dogs taste out of this world. There’s really nothing better with your burgers and hot dogs than fresh homemade nice and soft buns. These simple yeast buns will definitely add a gourmet twist to your next baking venture.
Fresh Homemade Hamburger And Hot Dog Buns
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 3 ½ teaspoons dry yeast, , 11g
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water, , 41 degree C / 105 degree F
- 1 Egg, large
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, 42g
- 3 tablespoons sugar, , 30g
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for brushing bowl and dough
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (hamburger buns)
- 1 tablespoon milk, hamburger buns
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, hamburger buns
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (hot dog buns)
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together yeast, 1/2 cup flour and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth. Let sit until mixture becomes foamy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir the egg, melted butter, sugar and salt thoroughly into the yeast mixture. Add the remaining 3 cups of flour.
- Fit a dough hook and knead on low speed until dough is soft and sticky, about 5 to 6 minutes. If by hand about 10 minutes.
- If need to, stop and scape the side down with a spatula. Usually the dough will pull most of it off the side. Do an evaluation to check if you need a little more flour after a few minutes of kneading. This is how to check. The dough should be soft, sticky and elastic but not so sticky that it will stick to a spatula or to the fingers when touched. Then knead for another 2 to 3 minutes. (Total is 5 to 6 minutes kneading)
- Transfer dough onto a floured work surface. The finished dough should be smooth, feel slightly tacky, and spring back when poked. Form the dough into a smooth round shape.
- Drizzle or brush olive oil into the stand mixer bowl and turn the dough over in the bowl to coat surface with oil. Cover the bowl with aluminium foil. Let dough rise in a warm place for about 2 hours until double in size.
- After the dough has risen, knocked out the air in the dough with a spatula. Then transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Pat to flatten and form into a slightly rounded rectangle of 1/2 inch thick. Dust dough lightly with flour if needed. Cut dough in half. Then cut one half into four equal pieces to make hamburger buns. Cut the other half into also 4 equal pieces to make hot dog buns.
- Form each piece into a round shape, gently tucking ends underneath the dough. Gently pat and stretch the dough rounds into flat disc shape about 1/2 inch thick.
- Transfer the buns onto the prepared baking sheet. Dust buns lightly with flour.
- Then lightly and loosely place a piece of cling wrap over the buns on the baking sheet. Let buns rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 190 degree C/ 375 degree F.
- Then beat 1 egg with milk until mixture is well mixed.
- When the buns have almost doubled in size, GENTLY and LIGHTLY brush the tops with egg wash. Sprinkle each bun with sesame seeds,
- Then baked in preheated oven until lightly browned on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing or serving.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and let cool.
- Turn each piece of cut dough cut-side up and form into a hot dog bun shape about 5 inches long. Transfer these dough, cut-sides up, to the prepared baking sheet and arrange them about 1/4 inch apart.
- Cut a slit down the centre of each bun.
- Brush melted butter over the top and sides of each bun.
- Let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190 degree C/ 375 degree F.
- Bake buns in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush again the tops with remaining melted butter.
- Let cool completely before use.
To make hamburger buns:
To make old fashion hot dog buns:
First line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, one for hamburger buns and the other for hot dog buns.
Prepare and measure the ingredients needed to make hamburger and hot dog buns.
Place yeast into bowl of a stand mixer.
Add in 1/2 cup flour.
Add WARM not hot water.
Whisk everything until smooth.
Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes
Until mixture becomes foamy.
Then add in 1 whole egg.
Followed by melted water.
Mix thoroughly with a whisk.
Then add in the remaining of the flour ( 3 cups ).
Fix a dough hook onto stand mixer.
Knead the dough on LOW speed
Until dough is soft, sticky and elastic.
Check to see if a little more flour is needed by using a spatula. The dough should be soft and sticky but not so sticky that it will stay attached to the spatula.
When the dough is just right, then knead for another 1 to 2 minutes. Total kneading time is about 5 to 6 minutes.
Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Dough will be sticky and elastic but not stick to your fingers. Shape the dough lightly into a smooth round shape, gently tucking loose end underneath the dough.
Drizzle some olive oil into the bowl of stand mixer.
Turn the dough over in the bowl to coat the surface with oil.
Cover the bowl with aluminium foil and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 2 hours or until double in size.
Beat 1 egg with milk (egg wash) and prepare sesame seeds to sprinkle onto the tops of hamburger buns.
When dough has doubled in size, knock some air out of it with a spatula.
Transfer the dough onto a floured work surface, pat it down with your hands to flatten bubbles and knock out the air.
Then form into a slightly rectangle shape.
Cut the rectangular dough in half. Cut each half into 4 pieces. One half to make hamburger buns. The other half to make hot dog buns.(Otherwise you can make all into either 8 hamburger buns or 8 hot dog buns).
To make hamburger buns, form each piece (4 pieces) into a round shape, gently tucking ends underneath the dough.
Gently pat and stretch the dough rounds into flat disc shapes about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange buns on prepared baking sheet.
Dust buns very lightly with flour. Then loosely and gently place a piece of cling wrap over the baking sheet. Do not seal the end of wrap. Let buns rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 190 degree C ( 375 degree F ).
When the buns have doubled in size, GENTLY and LIGHTLY brush the tops with egg wash, making sure not to deflate the dough.
Sprinkle each bun with sesame seeds.
Cut the other half of the dough into 4 pieces.
Turn the dough cut-side up and form into a hot dog bun shape about 5 inches long.
Do the same for the other 3 pieces of cut dough.
Transfer dough, cut-sides up, to the prepared lined baking sheet and set them about 1/4 inch apart.
Cut a slit down the centre of each bun.
Brush melted butter over the TOP and SIDES of each bun.
Let rise until doubled in size, and the buns have touched one another, about 1 hour.
Bake the hamburger and hot dog buns in preheated oven until golden brown, about 16 to 20 minutes.
Let the hamburger buns cool completely before slicing or using them.
Remove the cooled hamburger buns from the baking sheet onto serving plate.
As for the hot dog buns, remove the baked golden brown hot dog buns from the oven.
Brush the tops with the remaining of the melted butter.
Let cool completely before use.
Remove from baking sheet to serving plate after cooling completely.