Char Siew is a famous dish that everyone loves. If there is a pork recipe that defines Chinese cooking, I think Char Siew would be it. This char siew was done using my Happy Call grill pan. However, any non-stick pan with a lid on can be used to make the char siew too. Its quite easy to make but you have to constantly watch over it to prevent the char siew being burnt.
Pan Roasted Char Siew ( Chinese Barbecue Pork )
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 500 g Pork belly, without skin
- 2 tablespoons Honey, or Maltose, dissolved in a little hot water
- Sliced cucumber and tomatoes, to serve
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Taucho, or Crushed yellow bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Light soy sauce
- 2 pieces Red fermented bean curd
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- Cut pork into strips about 3 cm wide and 18 – 20 cm long. Place the pork strips into a casserole. Using a fork, pork all over the pork belly. Then add in the marinade. Blend well so the pork strips are coated well. Cover and leave for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the marinade into the happy call pan and add 100 ml water.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add in the marinated pork belly and cook on all sides first.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover the pan and continue cooking for 45 minutes.
- Turn the meat every 10 minutes. Baste the pork with the marinade to coat it well with sauce. Also make sure it doesn’t burn at bottom.
- Brush the pork with the honey when sauce reduced and starts to thicken. Continue to turn once or twice. Turn it more often towards the end of the cooking. Add a bit more HOT water if necessary to prevent the sauce from burning which will make it bitter.
- Remove the char siew and set aside to cool before slicing it.
- Add in some water to thin the sauce in the pan.
- You can use the sauce to drizzle over the char siew.
About cooked …… This is the flavourful, luscious, sticky-sweet, red-coated char siew in the Happy Call grill pan. There’s no need to have an oven to make it after all.