This is a relatively healthy and simple dish with TOFU as the ‘star’. The silky soft tofu is steamed and topped with a savoury and fragrant topping of sautéed dried shrimp and crispy shallots. As this simple dish uses very humble ingredients, the quality of soy sauce used is extremely important so make sure you use a good quality soy sauce.
Chinese Steamed Tofu with Dried Shrimp
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 2 blocks White silky tofu
- ¼ cup Dried shrimp, soaked in water for 10 minutes and drained
- 3 Shallots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Light soy sauce, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon Dark soy sauce
- 1 Stalk green onion, cut into thin strips, soaked in iced water
- 1 Red chilli, cut into thin strips, soaked in iced water
- In a wok of boiled water, steam tofu over high heat for 8 minutes.
- While tofu is steaming in wok, deep fry the shallot slices in hot oil on low heat until golden brown. ( be careful not to over brown the shallots or it will be bitter ). Set aside.
- Heat up a wok or pan. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the dried shrimp and fry until fragrant. Add 3 tablespoons of water and the soy sauces. Adjust to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain off excess water from the steamed tofu. Pour the shallots together with the oil and the dried shrimp on top of the tofu.
- Garnish with the green onions and red chillies. Serve hot.