This is a recipe for any whole fish but black Promfet is well suited to soak up all the flavours in the sauce. It’s mild, saltish and delicious! It’s cooked Asian style with simple ingredients that is always available in our kitchen.
Fried Black Promfet with Taucho
- 1 Black Promfet, Medium side
- 1 Knob Ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon taucho, good quality
- Red chillies and green onion, for garnishing
- Clean the black Promfet. Then make 2 slices in the middle, season with some salt. Deep fry the black Promfet in a pan or wok until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Using the same pan or wok fry the ginger strips until golden brown and crispy. Remove half from oil and set aside.
- Then, add the garlic to sauté until fragrant. Next add the taucho and stir fry for about 1 minute. Be careful not to over fry or the taucho will become bitter.
- Quickly add about 1 cup of water into the fried mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, mix well and put the fried Promfet into the sauce for a short simmer.
- Then dish up the fish together with the sauce on to a serving plate.
- Garnish with the remaining fried ginger strips, red chillies and green onion.
- Serve warm.