If you love pancakes and are worried about it making you fat, then this healthy recipe is for you. With all whole wheat, the pancakes are quite fluffy and taste great. I absolutely love the nutty flavour of the flour.
Hearty Whole Wheat Pancakes
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, or ground flaxseed, optional
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups low- fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Optional ingredients that can be added: chocolate chips, diced bananas, chopped walnuts, blueberries,cooked & chopped bacon.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients together : flour, baking powder, salt, chia seeds, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a smaller bowl whisk wet ingredients together: eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients in the large bowl. Make sure not to over mix. No beating is required.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Make sure pan is hot before spooning in the batter. If you’re using a variety of different ingredients, ie blueberries, chocolate chips or walnuts, it’s best to individually sprinkle over pancake before flipping.
- Once the pancake begins to lightly bubble in the pan, make sure the edges of the pancake have settled then gently flip and cook for another 3 – 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with the traditional butter and maple syrup.
- Keep pancakes warm in a preheated oven 200F oven until all pancakes are cooked. Serve
- immediately. Pancakes taste best right after they are made.