Everyone’s Favourite Fried Chicken, Made The Indonesian Way
Everyone loves fried chicken, I am sure. What more when it’s fried chicken with a difference. This recipe for Spiced Fried Chicken is a classic Indonesian fried chicken dish. The secret to these incredibly flavourful and juicy fried chicken: First, simmer the drumsticks in this amazing marinade of fresh herbs and spices to seal in the aroma, then deep fry to crispy golden brown perfection! Voila, you have fried chicken that’s extremely juicy, flavourful and wonderfully aromatic.
Enjoy with Steamed Rice and Cucumber Pineapple Pickle
Fried chicken done this way is generally served with rice and a pickled vegetable dish, like the Cucumber Pineapple Pickle in the previous recipe. Every bite is packed with an aromatic and flavourful kick. You will never have enough as it’s so mouth watering and finger licking yummy good!
As always, ENJOY!
Crispy Spiced Fried Chicken 香料炸鸡
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 6 chicken drumsticks, or 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 2 bay leaves, optional
- 2 cups oil, for deep frying
- 3 stalks curry leaves
- 5 candlenuts, buah keras
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, biji ketumbar
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds, jintan putih
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 inch galangal, buah lengkuas, peeled and sliced into small pieces
- 2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into small pieces
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 ml water
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- Start by preparing and cutting all ingredients needed to make the spice paste.
- Clean and drained well chicken drumsticks or chicken pieces cut into serving portions. Also rinse well bay leaves and bruised a lemongrass. And we're ready to make the spice paste.
- To make the paste, first stir fry candlenuts, coriander and cumin seeds in a skillet over low heat till fragrant. Then grind them in a blender till fine.
- Next, add in galangal, ginger, turmeric powder, garlic, salt and water and grind to form a smooth paste.
- Heat up oil and stir fry the spice paste till fragrant. Add the chicken pieces and continue to stir fry over medium heat to coat the chicken with the spice paste. Add in sugar and ground white pepper. Then toss in lemongrass and bay leaves. Cover the wok and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- While simmering, be sure to turn the spice coated chicken pieces from time to time until all the moisture is absorbed and the chicken meat turns tender. When done, discard bay leaves and bruised lemongrass and remove the chicken pieces from the wok. And we're ready to fry the chicken pieces!
- Heat enough oil in a wok until very hot. Add in curry leaves to infuse the oil with aromatic curry leaves flavour. Then discard the curry leaves. In batches, add the spice coated chicken pieces and deep fry over high heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain well and we're done!
- Serve hot with pickle vegetables and rice. Enjoy!