Plum Blossom Mooncakes 梅花月饼
- 160 g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 25 g icing sugar, sifted
- 50 g margarine
- 75 g water
- 110 g all-purpose flour
- 70 g shortening
- 300 g red bean paste
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
- Divide red bean paste filling into 15g portions and roll into 20 round balls. Set aside.
- To make WATER dough: In a mixing bowl, mix in flour, icing sugar and margarine. Then add water.
- Knead into a soft yellow dough. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- To make OIL dough, mix flour and shortening until well combined. Knead into soft white dough.
- Divide WATER dough into 10 portions (30g each). Form into balls. Then, divide OIL dough into 10 portions (18g each). Form into balls.
- Flatten the water dough and wrap in the oil dough. Form into ball. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Roll the dough flat with a rolling pin.
- Then roll up Swiss Roll style. Repeat the same for the rest of the dough.
- Roll the dough flat again with a rolling pin and then roll up Swiss Roll style again. Repeat for the rest of the dough. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide each dough into 2 equal halves by cutting crosswise in the centre of dough.
- Flatten each cut portion of the dough into a round shape.
- Wrap up with red bean paste filling (15g). Pinch the dough securely to seal the seam.
- Form into ball and flatten it.
- Cut 5 "petals" on the dough with scissors.
- Then make a crease on each petal with a plastic knife. Repeat the same for the rest of the dough.
- Make a depression in the centre of the cut dough.
- Brush the top with beaten egg yolk.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds in the depression.
- Arrange the plum blossom on a baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven at 190 degree C (375 degree F) for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- After baked, remove baking tray from oven to cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Then remove the baked plum blossom from the baking tray to cool completely on wire rack.
- The golden brown mooncakes are now ready to be packed in airtight containers.