There are many ways of making chicken curries at home. They are so delicious and easy to make. This is a typical Malaysian chicken curry we can cook at home. The chicken curry is thick and creamy with a lot of flavours. The meat curry paste and ingredients used has just the right blend of spices and aroma for an authentic Malaysian mamak chicken curry. Any leftovers, if any, taste even better as the flavours develop overnight.
Home Style Chicken Curry
- 1.5 kg chicken, cut into bite size (I used 7 chicken whole legs)
- 4 potatoes, cut into bite size (parboiled)
- 12 stalks of curry leaves
- 2 star anise
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 400 ml coconut milk or santan, from 2 coconuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients to grind:
- 12 in dried chillies, soakedhot water
- 5 red chillies
- 5 tablespoon meat curry powder + red chili powder, 4:1 ratio for meat curry and red chili powder, made into paste with water
- 10 shallots, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 inch galangal, chopped
- 1 inch turmeric, chopped
- 10 candle nuts, chopped
- 2 lemongrass, chopped, upper part only
- piece Aof shrimp paste, toasted
- Heat up 5 tablespoons oil in wok. Add in the ground onion paste. Fry until the mixture releases nice aroma.
- Next add in the ground curry paste and fry until the oil separates.
- Add in the chicken pieces and fry chicken in the curry paste for about 5 minutes. Stir to mix well.
- Next add in curry leaves and star anise.
- Add coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Then add in the parboiled potatoes and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then add salt to taste.
- Cover the potatoes with room temperature water and bring to a light boil. Boil for 10-15 minutes. Take potatoes off the heat and immerse in cool water. Let cool.