This is the third version of Chinese Barbecue Pork in my blog. The first one was marinated and grilled, second was marinated and pan fried. In this third version the sauces for the marinate are cooked until fragrant before using as marinade for the pork. I choose to pan fry the pork.
Garlic Char Siew (Chinese Barbecue Pork)
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
Garlic Char Siew sauce
- 2 whole garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Oyster Sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoon Chinese wine
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- 500 ml water
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 pieces pork belly, 300g each piece
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Heat up 2 tablespoon oil and fry minced garlic until fragrant.
- Add in the sauces, sugar, Chinese wine, five spice and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Thicken with the cornflour mixture.
- Tender the pork belly by tapping with the back of a knife/ cleaver
- Heat up 1 tablespoon oil in a non stick pan.
- Put in the pork belly and pan fry on all sides until fragrant.
- Add in the garlic char siew sauce and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cover the pan. Continue to cook until the pork belly is brown.
- Brush the meat with a thin layer of honey the last 5 minutes of cooking for extra sweetness and gloss.
- Dish up and cut into slices before serving.