Crispy Fried Onions
- 500 g shallots
- 500 ml cooking oil, for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peel the skin off the shallots
- In a large container, fill with water. Then add some salt to it.
- Rinse briefly the skinned shallots in the salt water.
- Remove shallots from water, drain and slice the shallots VERY THINLY. (Cut them in half and julienne).
- Heat oil in frying pan or wok. When oil is hot, put in all the sliced shallots. Stir and fry for about 5 minutes until the onions begin to brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir and fry for another 2 minutes. Then reduce heat to low.
- Continue to stir and fry until the slices of shallots turn reddish-brown. Make sure the sliced onions has significant colour change (so that they remain crispy even after cooled) but careful that they don’t burn (or they will be bitter).
- Drain the crispy shallots onto a sieve. Then place the shallots on a plate over kitchen paper towel to remove excess oil.
- When cooled completely, store in airtight container.
- Store in a cool place.