Yam bean/Jicama is a crunchy root vegetable available in most Asian food stores. The flesh of yam bean tastes slightly sweet and it is believed to be able to remove body heat and help control blood pressure. Yam bean is a must in this dish. Stir-fried yam bean is a very versatile dish. It can be eaten as a main dish with rice or wrapped in fresh lettuce leaves as a salad. It can also be used as fillings for buns, spring rolls (popiah) or pie tee. Just leave to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until needed.
This versatile dish can be used in the following recipes:
Stir-Fried Yam Bean
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 kg Yam Bean, skinned and shred finely
- 100 gram french beans, sliced thinly
- 1 Carrot, skinned and shred finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 50 gram dried shrimp, soaked and chopped finely
- 10 shitake mushrooms, soaked and chopped finely
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp chicken stock
- 1 tsp chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- First prepare all ingredients needed for this dish.
- Also have ready all the seasonings for flavouring.
- Using a grater, shred finely the skinned white yam bean.
- Then shred finely the carrot.
- Using a chopper, minced finely the soaked dried shrimp.
- With the same chopper, mince finely the soaked shiitake mushrooms.
- Then using a sharp knife, sliced thinly the french beans. And we're now ready to cook the filling.
- In a wok, heat up vegetable oil and fry minced garlic until fragrant and golden brown in colour.
- Then add in the finely chopped dried shrimp.
- Fry the dried shrimp on low heat for about 10 minutes or until it turns brown and fragrant.
- Quickly add in the minced shiitake mushroom. Fry the mushroom till fragrant.
- Then mix in the shredded yam bean.
- Add in all the seasonings except ground white pepper. Stir-fry until all the seasonings are infused into the yam bean mixture.
- When everything is well mixed, add in sliced french bean.
- Lastly add in shredded carrot. Continue to stir fry until all vegetables are cooked but still remain crisp.
- Just before dishing out, season with ground white pepper. And we're done!
- Dish up and serve warm. So Enjoy!